First Server

keatenp

First Server

Postby keatenp » Sun May 15, 2016 6:29 pm

Hello, this is my first server and I am trying to learn how to use it for the first time. I have successfully installed Fedora and the Amahi client onto the computer I will be using for my server.

Some information about my network:
I have internet from google and have the modem and router combo directly wired into the server PC through LAN. The other computers on the network are also hardwired through a switch that connects most of the rooms of the house with Ethernet cables through the walls.

The problem I am having now, is that I can only get to the server in the browser by copying and pasting the servers IP address into my browser. Trying to use http://hda does not work. Well it worked once or twice, but fails to do so anymore. I think is is related to my issue.

The other issue I am having is that when I try to access my folders in my Windows PC folder browser, it says it cannot find \\hda.

I have been trying to follow the wiki on how to access it on my PC because I wanted to see if I could store some pictures on the server as a test. However, I am totally new to this and cannot seem to figure it out. The wiki makes it sound really easy so I am sure I might have an issue with my network. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: First Server

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Did you follow the Transition to Amahi wiki guidance?

This is likely your issue.

Also recommend you check out the Troubleshooting page. There are many common issues with solutions listed there.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

keatenp

Postby keatenp » Sun May 15, 2016 10:10 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I have read that, but my problem is that I am a college student and the google modem we have was set up by my Apartment complex and I do not have the account to log into the router to turn off DHCP or make any other changes. So I guess I will need to ask them if I can get that information.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 am

Chances are your apartment complex may not allow you to disable the DHCP and DNS server on the router.

Please review the Amahi FAQ for what capability you will lose if you cannot use the HDA as your DHCP and DNS server.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2