Access Storage Outside Network Without VPN

bourkies

Access Storage Outside Network Without VPN

Postby bourkies » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:37 am

I've just recently begun using Amahi as a server for family files, including using it as a DLNA server for TV's in the house and so far it's been working fantastically. But, there's something new I want to try and I haven't figured out how to make it work yet.

I'd like to be able to access files stored on a part of the server from outside of my network. From what I understand, this can easily be accomplished through the use of a VPN. The thing is though that the device I'm looking to use this on is a work machine, that's locked down, with the main problem being a lack of administrator privileges. I've also tried fiddling with OwnCloud8, but I can't install their Windows program without admin rights, and I can't figure out how to mount it as a drive through Windows.

Is there any way through port forwarding or anything else that I'd be able to connect to part of the storage remotely and add it as a network location through Windows without admin rights?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Access Storage Outside Network Without VPN

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:00 am

You can try using one of the file manager applications, such as pydio App.

Then you will need to follow guidance for hosting a web site which includes guidance for exposing applications outside your network.

Keep is mind this is not secure and open to others, hence the reason for using VPN.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2