SOLVED: write access from linux client

jkbuckethead

SOLVED: write access from linux client

Postby jkbuckethead » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Using linux in Amahi inspired me to go a step further and try out linux for real. I installed Linux Mint on another computer. Right off the bat I was not able to see my HDA or any amahi shares on the linux box. I would have presumed they would show up under network devices, just like my synology NAS does, but they didn't. I don't know if not seeing them was how it is supposed to be or if something isn't right. If something's wrong, I presume it is on the linux client since amahi has virtually no network settings to change.

Anyway, this isn't really my question, just backstory. I did some googling, and I found out how to mount the HDA shares locally. I inserted the following in /etc/fstab for each share.

Code: Select all

//192.168.1.10/share1 /mnt/shares/share1 cifs username=user1,password=user1password 0 0
This worked, but only to a degree. I can read the shares, but I cannot write to them. The shares are set to Writeable and Visible for all users in Amahi.

When it didn't work, I tried adding a read-write option based on examples I found online. The examples I found used the rw option in several different ways (below). Unfortunately none of them seem to work.

Code: Select all

//192.168.1.10/share1 /mnt/shares/share1 cifs rw username=user1,password=user1password 0 0 //192.168.1.10/share1 /mnt/shares/share1 cifs rw,username=user1,password=user1password 0 0 //192.168.1.10/share1 /mnt/shares/share1 cifs username=user1,password=user1password, rw 0 0
Any ideas if this is an amahi issue, or something on the linux client?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: write access from linux client

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:32 am

Check out Sharing to Linux wiki page.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jkbuckethead

Postby jkbuckethead » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Thanks for the link. After some tweeking, that did the trick.

The first part of the wiki directing you to install smbfs appears out of date. I entered the line as written, and it went through the install process but downloaded nothing and installed nothing. I wasn't familiar with "aptitude" so I tried the more common "apt" and got pretty much the same results. The only difference was that it returned an error message stating that "smbfs" had been replaced by "cifs". Fortunately cifs was already installed.

I also had to change the share address from //hda/sharename to //<HDA IP address>/sharename, using the IP address rather than DNS alias. This could be a peculiarity of my network, but it's worth mentioning in case it happens to others. I expected the alias to work because it does work in the browser of my windows PC. I'm not sure why it didn't work in this case. Since it's a one-time thing to edit fstab, it's no big deal to use the IP address if it gets the job done. With the IP address in place, I can now see, read, and write to my HDA shares from my linux box.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Glad it worked for you.

Please feel free to update the wiki. We rely on the community to keep it up to date.

Closing this one as solved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2