Added second HDD - all files owned by root. Can't write!

giraffeonastick

Added second HDD - all files owned by root. Can't write!

Postby giraffeonastick » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:01 pm

Probably a classic noob Q.

Plugged in a USB HDD and shared it using the Disk Wizard. Can map it in Windows but as read only.

Attempted to chown -R the drive to my admin username, but it states 'operation not permitted'. Only have read access to some folders.

My Documents folder on my USB HDD and when shared has RW access, but any other folder in the share list cannot be written to. Looking at them on Amahi, they all have the same permissions.

Is it something to do with the fact that I mapped Docs first in Windows?

(I've been running this for a week or so, not using Greyhole or anything other than Disk Wizard as an app at the moment - it's that vanilla!)

Thanks in advance.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Added second HDD - all files owned by root. Can't write!

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Try executing the command as root user. BTW the wiki has some guidance on mounting USB hard drives I think.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

giraffeonastick

Postby giraffeonastick » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks - maybe the stupidest question of them all, but I followed the guidance when installing and it said not to set a root password... so I didn't. My 1stadminuser doesn't work, even using sudo...

Have I broken it before I began by not setting a root password, or is there a default set by the gui installer??

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Which install guidance did you follow? There is no default root password.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

giraffeonastick

Postby giraffeonastick » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:58 am

I followed the install guide from the main install section when I downloaded the software.

So if there is no default root password, and entering no password doesn't proceed, can I set a root password to let me fix this?

Another question is to ask where I should be attempting to change the ownership - in /var/hda/files/drives/<drivename> or elsewhere?

Also, reading around, this is an NTFS file system on my USB HDD, should I mount it using ntfs-3g? If that's the case, should I remove my shares, unmount the drive and remount the drive?

Thanks for your help

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:01 am

I followed the install guide from the main install section when I downloaded the software.
Can you provide the URL as there is more than one. Also please provide the result of the following command:

Code: Select all

fpaste --sysinfo
can I set a root password to let me fix this?
Only if you can successfully execute and become root by entering the following:

sudo su -
Otherwise you would have to start over.
Also, reading around, this is an NTFS file system on my USB HDD, should I mount it using ntfs-3g? If that's the case, should I remove my shares, unmount the drive and remount the drive?
Either use the Amahi Disk Wizard or follow the adding a hard drive to your HDA guidance. They both allow for NTFS drives.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

giraffeonastick

Postby giraffeonastick » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks. I checked the link I used and it told me to use the Amahi Disk Wizard in the dashboard, so that's how I added the drive - plugged it in once booted and sorted the shares etc with the disk wizard

I've actually set a root password now and even when I su - to root, I can't chown the folder and contents on the USB HDD. I just get 'operation not permitted'.

http://paste.fedoraproject.org/298285/95108651
(was that the output you were expecting to see?)

Thanks again!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Yes that is the URL I needed.

Is /var/hda/files/drives/MEDIA your USB drive?

Also please verify the following are installed by running as root user:

yum install pmount fuse fuse-libs ntfs-3g util-linux-ng parted
Next, did you check out the how to use USB drives guidance?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

giraffeonastick

Postby giraffeonastick » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:49 am

Is /var/hda/files/drives/MEDIA your USB drive?
Yes - that's the one.
Also please verify the following are installed by running as root user:
yum install pmount fuse fuse-libs ntfs-3g util-linux-ng parted
Installed - although I may have installed that after plugging the drive in when trying to get it to work...
Next, did you check out the how to use USB drives guidance?
I'd not checked this out - to be honest, I'd not see this link before.

Is it worth me removing the HDD and all associated shares, following the Fedora section in the link you supplied to the letter, and then reattaching, using Disk Wizard to re-add the shares?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 am

Is it worth me removing the HDD and all associated shares, following the Fedora section in the link you supplied to the letter, and then reattaching, using Disk Wizard to re-add the shares?
That might be best. Unfortunately plugging a USB drive into Linux is not the same as Windows.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager