Adding a second partition to an external drive help

batoum

Adding a second partition to an external drive help

Postby batoum » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:00 am

HI.
Doing something that should be easy but frustrating the hell out of me.
Installed Amahi a few weeks back. First time on linux so lots of trials/errors. But everything working no. I have 3 drives, not greyholed
sda - 120gb SSD has the os
sdb - 3TB with media files etc
sdc - 2TB for back up (time machine)

I now want to add a second partition on sdc in which time machine is 1.2TB and the remaining for an owncloud partition.

I have successfully added a second partition using fsck /dev/sdc.

I then resized the first partition by unmounting, then e2fsck and then resize2fs /dec/sdc1 1200g. That works handy dandy.

however, when i try resize2fs /dev/sdc2 800g it just says 88 blocks. I have tried various order sequences and nothing. It seems that fedora cannot see the "unused" space on the drive after partition resizing.

I have not installed gparted as i thought the GPART label doesnt play nice with amahi / fedora 21. The GUI app is in beta so that is not a possibility.

What am i doing wrong? It is frustrating as it feels like the answer is going to be so bloody obvious.

Thank you in advance

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Adding a second partition to an external drive help

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:02 pm

I have not installed gparted as i thought the GPART label doesnt play nice with amahi / fedora 21. The GUI app is in beta so that is not a possibility.
The GUI GParted app is based on the GParted Live CD and works via network boot. If you would like to test, I can give you access.

Otherwise, recommend you download the Live CD and boot your HDA using it. You can then adjust the partitions as needed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

batoum

Postby batoum » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:46 pm

Access you be great. I don't have a cd drive so sounds much easier.

Will report back on results given that it is beta

Thank you!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:57 am

Sorry I forgot to clarify that the GParted app only works for clients. It will not work on the HDA itself in GUI mode.

You can run the GParted Live CD from a USB flash drive.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2