CLOSED: Lost access to shares and dashboard

bt107

CLOSED: Lost access to shares and dashboard

Postby bt107 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:35 am

Recently I noticed my persistently mapped shares (Windows 10) to the hda were disconnected. When I tried to reconnect I got the "network path not found" message. I tried to SSH with putty and that connection timed out. I tried to open the dashboard but that connection failed also. It seemed the server had dropped offline. I was able to ping it successfully though so I know it has network connectivity. The server runs headless so the only way I could get into was to power down, connect a keyboard and monitor and restart.

It booted normally with no errors that I noticed. After restart all shares appeared normal and the dashboard was there so I figured just a glitch. Some time later it went offline again and I had to do another power down reboot. This has happened several times over that last week or so.

My server is an HP Microserver N36L running Amahi7, Fedora 19 with 1 OS disk and 3x1TB disks in a Greyhole pool. It's a file server and media streamer, no unusual configuration or customizations. The only thing I've done recently is to uninstall the AmahiVNC app which had been installed for a long time. Could this have broken something in samba or cifs? I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to look? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Lost access to shares and dashboard

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:41 am

VNC is not something that can be easily uninstalled. Good chance when you removed it, you may have caused other problems.

Recommend you check log files. VNC installs Gnome Desktop which can be quite a complicated mess to work out when uninstalled. Keep in mind that if this cannot be sorted out, you may have to reinstall. If that happens, recommend you move to Amahi 8.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bt107

Postby bt107 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:27 am

Dang. I thought that might be it but was hoping otherwise. I've held off on 8 so far because the Crashplan app isn't ready yet. Guess I'll go a head and take the plunge. Any idea when Crashplan might be released?

Thanks for your help. Consider this one closed.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:39 am

No estimate on when CrashPlan will be released. Would you like to help test it?

It's a finicky app but many seem to like it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bt107

Re: CLOSED: Lost access to shares and dashboard

Postby bt107 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:10 pm

I'd be happy to. I use Crashplan with all my machines, Windows, Mac and linux. I back them up to the hda and then use Crashplan Central as a cloud backup. I haven't had to restore anything yet so I may be deluding myself but it appears to work well.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: CLOSED: Lost access to shares and dashboard

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:04 pm

I have given you access to Crashplan. You may need to refer to the Crashplan wiki page as well, specifically the Fedora 19 area.

Please test and report any issues or success in a bug report. We prefer to track progress for apps there vs in the forums.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager