Hi,
I believe this code:

Code: Select all

​mkdir /var/hda/vol ; chmod 775 /var/hd
Should read as:

​mkdir /var/hda/vol ; chmod 775 /var/hda/vol
right?

Also, the reported auto.master file is a little different in Fedora 21.

Thanks,
F

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: typo in "HowTo use USB disks" wiki

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:15 pm

This guidance has not been updated in quite some time. I made the minor change.

Feel free to modify it if outdated. We rely on the user community to keep the guidance up-to-date.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

pucciclaudio

Postby pucciclaudio » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks for keeping up with my posts, very appreciated.

I would change the wiki if I could be sure the changes are correct. In the case of this wiki page, it is very cryptic and not user friendly. For instance:
Then add, with appropriate changes to your partitions the auto.vol file:

​nano /etc/auto.vol # # This is an automounter map and it has the following format # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location # mountpoint_key options location_device # man 5 autofs # cdrom -fstype=auto,ro,nosuid,nodev,user :/dev/cdrom # the cd rom #floppy -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev,noexec,user,gid=100,umask=000 :/dev/fd0 K -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev,noexec,user,gid=100,umask=000 :/dev/sdk1 K.2 -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev,noexec,user,gid=100,umask=000 :dev/sdk2 #2nd partition K.3 -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev,noexec,user,gid=100,umask=000 :dev/sdk3 #3d partition L -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev,noexec,user,gid=100,umask=000 :/dev/sdl1 # some other drive
It is not clear what it refers to: there is no mention of /dev/usb.* and it was not clear the user has to create the file (which does not exist in Fedora 21)

This raises a broader question: why it is suggested to perform a minimal install of Fedora? A complete install would have all these issues fixed.

Cheers,

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:37 pm

No problem. Trying to keep things moving forward with Amahi 8 and updating our guidance in the wiki. I have made many changes over the past few weeks. Getting things more organized and simpler to follow.

Thanks for pointing out this page. I did not even know it existed. Just never came across it I guess. If you feel there is a clearer and more concise way to document this process, please do so.

Not many users use USB drives with their servers based on my experience. Many build the server, then put it in a closet or basement and forget about it. We have very few questions if any about using USB drives.

As for the Minimal Install, that is by design as it's how Amahi is developed. No reason to install a bunch of software and overhead. Most users want a small footprint and don't want the added features of a full install. We try to appeal to a large variety of users and feel our current architecture does that best.

Many users build their server on older antiquated hardware. We have tried to design Amahi to run on a basic system where minimal CPU and RAM is needed. Until Linux became more resource intensive, we had users running Amahi on Pentium 4 machines with 500 GB drives or smaller.

Keep in mind that Amahi 8 will work on a full install (Fedora 21 Server ONLY) and is officially supported as such. It's your server so you can do what you feel is best for your needs.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

pucciclaudio

Postby pucciclaudio » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks for the useful insight and info.

I would like to use a simpler desktop server for Fedora, is there a base environment you suggest for Amahi to work best? Like "Server", "Cloud Server", "Web server", ... Any add-ons useful to auto mount NAS and firewire disks?

Thanks,

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:01 pm

We only support Server.

See http://docs.amahi.org for instructions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager