Transferring files to HDA shares "There is not enough space"

tomtheappraiser

Transferring files to HDA shares "There is not enough space"

Postby tomtheappraiser » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm trying to trying videos to one of my video shares from my desktop running windows 8 over a LAN connection. I keep getting a pop up that says:
"There is not enough space on Videos (\\HDA)

86.1 MB is needed to copy this item. Delete or move files so you have enough space.

Videos (\\HDA)
Space Free: 856 GB
Total Size: 4.51 TB"

So then I started trying all kinds of other files and none of them worked. Video, text, etc

I recently added a share and ran FSCK, but I was still able to transfer files over after that.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Transferring files to HDA shares "There is not enough space"

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Are you using Greyhole? Is the LZ full?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

tomtheappraiser

Postby tomtheappraiser » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:01 pm

I am using Greyhole. I'm not sure exactly where my LZ is. I THOUGHT it was on another drive. It tried forcing it to move to the shares but it gave me a "not enough memory" error. I'm now not able to get into the dashboard. I'm basically having the same issues as this

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5420

at least the first page part.

I now know that dev/sda6 is full. I THOUGHT my shares were spread across 2 2tb drives and a 3 TB drive, but now, one of the drives wasn't even showing up in the drive pool stats (right before I lost the dashboard). My data is all still there though when I access it through my mapped drives.

I was going to try and move some files off of SDA6 so I could get access to the dashboard again, but I have no idea how to get there or which files to move once I find it using Putty.

I tried using a live cd, but I can't access the 43 gb partition that has / on it. It asks for a root password, but even though I know I'm typing the correct password it won't allow me access.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:39 pm

I am using Greyhole. I'm not sure exactly where my LZ is. I THOUGHT it was on another drive.
Unless you moved it, the LZ resides on the OS drive. It would be /var/hda/files location.
I tried using a live cd, but I can't access the 43 gb partition that has / on it. It asks for a root password, but even though I know I'm typing the correct password it won't allow me access.
The root password would be the one for the Live CD. When using it, the HDA is only seen as a drive. Did you mount the HDA OS drive once you had the Live CD running? If not, it won't allow access at all.

If you can SSH into your HDA, you could move some files from a share to another drive. The command syntax is fairly straight forward.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

tomtheappraiser

Postby tomtheappraiser » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:04 pm

I can SSH into it. Could you help me out on the command syntax for that. I have no idea where Dev/SDA6 is. I used the CD command to get into Dev but it says SDA6 is not a directory

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Happy to help.

Might try moving one of the large shares to a different drive via command line as root user:

Code: Select all

move /var/hda/files/videos /var/hda/files/drive2
Substitute drive2 for whatever drive mount point you want to move it to.

Once you get things working again, you can consider moving the LZ to a bigger drive. See the Greyhole Landing Zone wiki page for details. There is an explanation of the LZ and a link at the bottom for instructions on how to move it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

tomtheappraiser

Postby tomtheappraiser » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:09 pm

OK, I did that and moved it to drive6. I can get into the dashboard again, but now when I go to that folder on windows explorer it says the file doesn't exist. When I try to open videos on Plex it says it doesn't exist...I am so completely confused.
Where did it move it to?
Did I just lose all of my videos?

What about my other shares? They are still there in windows and plex...I just don't understand what is on that 42 gig drive, why my other 2TB disks are full and why only my 3 tb drive is filling up. I thought greyhole was supposed to spread the data out amongst the drives.

I know I don't have that much data on there.

Here is my partition list and the disk stats
Attachments
greyhole disks.png
greyhole disks.png (54.64 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
greyhole.png
greyhole.png (16.57 KiB) Viewed 4151 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Where did it move it to?
Did I just lose all of my videos?
When you move shares to a different location you have to change the path in the Shares tab of the dashboard. Once you point it to the correct location, access to the files will be restored.

Is your root drive part of the Greyhole storage pool? If so, it should not be and that is why your root drive is almost full. You also control how files are spread across the storage pool in /etc/greyhole.conf. If you use Greyhole UI application, this is simpler to adjust. If not, recommend you check out the wiki guidance.

You can also run the Greyhole balance command as root user:

Code: Select all

greyhole -l
It's important to understand how Greyhole works to prevent problems such as this. The wiki does provide a lot of details that will help with that.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

tomtheappraiser

Postby tomtheappraiser » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:23 pm

OK, I'm confused even more. Could you please help me and tell me how to fix this?

I have no idea why my root folder would be there. I didn't put it there. I realize it's not supposed to be part of the pool.
I obviously have the Greyhole UI since I just posted screenshots from it. How do I do what you're telling me to do? I have no idea.
All of this stuff is not how I set it up. I'm really confused on how all of these drives and shares have gotten to be in different places. I haven't restarted and I haven't even logged in as root for a couple of months and all of a sudden everything is messed up because I added one new share.
This seems to be really unstable and I can't understand why this has been all over websites as something a newbie can use.
Please, hold my hand and tell me how to fix this. I will worship you in a thousand universes if you can just make this easier for me.

tomtheappraiser

Postby tomtheappraiser » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Here's a copy of how my pool is setup. It looks liek I don't have the Root setup in the pool...so I have no clue what is happening
Attachments
pooled.png
pooled.png (13.26 KiB) Viewed 4147 times