Controlling TFTP Service in HDA Web GUI

zac851

Controlling TFTP Service in HDA Web GUI

Postby zac851 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:05 pm

I installed a TFTP server (yum install tftp-server) on my HDA so that I can update the ROM on my local HP procurve switch and had a question. Normally when apps are installed through Amahi's web panel I can go under "Settings>Servers" and see which services are running (green) or stopped (red) and restart them etc but since I installed this TFTP manually, obviously it doesn't show up.

My question is this. Is there anyway to add the TFTP service so that it's shown up in the list? I be leaving it off most of the time unless I need to use it but I just thought it would be nice to be able to see it's status here and start it/stop it rather than having to SSH into the HDA and execute the command via CLI when I need to use it.

zac851

Re: Controlling TFTP Service in HDA Web GUI

Postby zac851 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:28 pm

I'll also add this. I don't know if it matters or not but thought it may help you on answering my original question but when I start tftp I start it as a socket, not a service if that makes sense

This code below works:

Code: Select all

[root@hda /]# systemctl status tftp.socket tftp.socket - Tftp Server Activation Socket Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tftp.socket; disabled) Active: active (listening) since Sat Listen: [::]:69 (Datagram) server.domain systemd[1]: Starting Tftp Server Activation Socket. server.domain systemd[1]: Listening on Tftp Server Activation Socket. [root@hda /]#

Initially, when I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't work, I was running it in the code example below

Code: Select all

[root@hda /]# systemctl status tftp.service tftp.service - Tftp Server Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tftp.service; static) Active: failed (Result: resources) server.domain systemd[1]: Starting Tftp Server... server.domain systemd[1]: tftp.service failed to run 'start' task: In...nt server.domain systemd[1]: Failed to start Tftp Server. server.domain systemd[1]: Unit tftp.service entered failed state. server.domain systemd[1]: Starting Tftp Server... server.domain systemd[1]: tftp.service failed to run 'start' task: In...nt server.domain systemd[1]: Failed to start Tftp Server.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:54 pm

You are doing it the hard way.

We have an RPM called amahi-netboot. It installs tftp server and works via a service.

There is guidance in the wiki an how to use it.

As for adding it to do dashboard it's possible but not a simple task. We should make an app that installs the service and adds it to the servers page.

I will see what I can do about the app.

Recommend you start over and use the custom RPM.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:14 pm

We now have the Amahi Netboot app in BETA. It will install the tftp server, start the service, and add it to the Servers section in the HDA dashboard.

I have given you access to test. Please let me know how it works for you.

We have netboot apps as well that you might be interested in helping test, such as Clonezilla, GParted, Redo Backup and Recovery, and Damn Small Linux or DSL if you prefer.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

zac851

Postby zac851 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:25 am

Thanks, I'll try it out. I was able to use the TFTP to upgrade my switch firmware and get everything done that I needed so I'll uninstall TFTP and play around with netboot. I finished using tufts for what I needed it for so it won't matter if it breaks now...

I'll take a look at the others too. Clonezilla ecspecially because it could be very useful to me at work. I just did a Windows 7 Deployment on an enterprise network for the company I work for and had to deploy a sysprep image I created out to 175 workstations. I really liked Clonezilla and wanted test it along with Windows Deployment Services, and a few others but due to time constraints i was given, I had no time to look into setting a deployment server up and trying anything out and we had to manually deploy the image to each computer one by one. For future image deployments though which happens to at least 1 machine a week, I'd love to test it. Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:11 am

Good to hear.

We are anxious to hear how it works for you. Hope to release it LIVE for Amahi 7 soon.

Clonezilla is a nice tool. I use it frequently at home. We are also hoping to find a web UI to allow adding OS distributions and menu options to the netboot. So far nothing promising though.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager