New Installation and all files ending up on a small partitio

radamio

New Installation and all files ending up on a small partitio

Postby radamio » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:17 am

Hi all,

I have a new installation of Amahi on a new 1TB drive.

I did the express install and let Amahi auto partition the 1TB drive.

For some reason, any files moved to any share /Books, /Movies, /Music are all ending up on one partition.

sda6 - in my instance. " / "

What happened?

I'm trying to understand what I did wrong in the express install that Amahi ignores my 877GB /home and deposits all files to an obscure sda6 partition on that 1 big drive?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: New Installation and all files ending up on a small part

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:38 am

For some reason, any files moved to any share /Books, /Movies, /Music are all ending up on one partition.

sda6 - in my instance. " / "

What happened?
Nothing. The shares are located in /var/hda/files/sharename by default. If you want them located in /home, you will need to update the path via the Dashboard for the applicable share.

Ensure you have Advanced Settings enabled first. It's best to customize the partition of the OS drive on install and place the bulk of your drive as "/" versus "/home". This is identified in Amahi 7 Express CD install guidance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

radamio

Postby radamio » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi bigfoot65,

Thank you. Yup. I see that. I didn't understand what this was referring too at the start. In other words, I was following the installation "on screen" guidance and chose the defaults thinking they were generic enough for everyone. I suppose they really are? Except that video files (I'm a videographer) are so dang enormous that 45GB "/" partition got clogged when greyhole drive pooling was active.

It's still a problem for me in that the defaults "/" in my instance is a small partition and I really want the default LZ to be the big one. Amahi defaults "out of the box" - in my case - were not the best choice. Now that I see where I can monkey with how the installer chooses the partition on the big drive I could do a reinstall. I'm getting good at reinstalls about now. LOL

Is there another way without reinstall? I wish I was better at Command Line Interface (CLI) but I suck at it. Linux is completely new to me. A new world to discover.

Thanks kindly for any help and happy new year!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:29 pm

See my response in this thread. Important to keep the issue in one place.

Happy New Year to you as well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2