Amahi/Samba Bug Shares Disapearing

pagemaster

Amahi/Samba Bug Shares Disapearing

Postby pagemaster » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:02 am

Hello,
Here's how it happened:
I restarted my hda server and once it loaded back up all my samba shares were inaccessible from my Windows XP Pro PC.

After entering my username and password all I could see is "Printers and Faxes," which didn't even have my printer inside it.

At that time I could still access the hda web GUI and SSH into the server. In the web GUI all the shares were listed there, but obviously were not in Explorer. In the web GUI tried changing a couple share permissions, but that didn't help.

Using SSH I did a:
su -
service smb restart

(Still no shares in Windows)

I then did a:
yum reinstall samba

(Again no shares)

Using the web GUI I tried making a new share called "Public" with full rights for everyone. As soon as I did that all the shares and even my printer appeared!

Everything seemed to be working again, but I made the mistake of changing the share permissions of one of my shares using the web GUI and now I am back to a Windows machine with no share access. I have tried making another share, but that no longer seems to work.

Please Help
My HDA:
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz
GPU: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
RAM: 1GB
HDD: ATA WD 320GB + ATA WD 500GB

pagemaster

Re: Amahi/Samba Bug Shares Disapearing

Postby pagemaster » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:24 am

Just tried restarting the server again, no good. Any ideas?

I just had a look at /etc/samba/smb.conf and it looks like the entire file it empty.
My HDA:

bsk

Postby bsk » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:39 am

Im not sure what could be going on here, but I know that the samba file being empty is not a good thing. If your willing to wait for a good response (cause I know me not knowing an answer is what you want to hear lol) then someone should be around to help you out, and ill post this thread link in the irc channel.

If you need a quick response, the best place to go is the irc channel and talk to cpg.
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:28 am

I just had a look at /etc/samba/smb.conf and it looks like the entire file it empty.
WHOA. that sounds like a bug.
pretty serious bug.

there are three people who have come across something that looks very similar.

i have an instrumented version of the platform that can be used for debugging this.

i will be sending a PM to you with the details.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

nomadg

Postby nomadg » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Well 24 hours with Amahi and seems the only problem I have had is this one. Was thinking it was a Windows 7 thing.
I can only reach shares with "all users" checked and this is read only. As soon as I set individual user settings I cant get passed windows security login. At 1st I thought this was because Windows 7 was appending client name on login, ie localmachine\username. Installed and started samba config, it says "WARNING" on user list and wont allow me to add users. Checked inside smb.conf and it is empty. Thanks for any help you can provide.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:10 pm

ok, i'm in an all-out war on this one. looks like a bug.

i have sent you guys a link to the latest platform rpm, with a potential fix.

however, if i could find a way to reproduce, it would be easier, so please let me know if you can find any way to reproduce it.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

pagemaster

Postby pagemaster » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:44 am

Just for now to get my printer sharing working I added the following to my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

Code: Select all

[global] workgroup = NAME.COM netbios name = HDA security = share printcap name = cups disable spools= Yes show add printer wizard = No printing = cups [printers] comment = All Printers path = /var/spool/samba guest ok = Yes printable = Yes use client driver = Yes browseable = Yes
Then restarted the server:

Code: Select all

service smb restart
My HDA:

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 am

are you aware that the smb.conf file gets rewritten on every samba settings change from the internal amahi settings, and that custom content will be lost at the next change in shares settings, correct?

just making sure ...

for the time being we do not support custom samba settings ... :(

pagemaster

Postby pagemaster » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:58 am

Yes, I do cpg, I am just using this as a very temporary fix and thought it may help other users.

After installing the rpm that you PMed me and changing the permissions of one of my shares using http://hda/ I was able to see all my shares again in Windows Vista. Next problem is accessing them... I try logging in with a user, but I keep getting told the password is wrong. I even tried resetting the password in http://hda/, but it still won't let me in.
Attachments
Capturelogin.JPG
Access Denied!
Capturelogin.JPG (55.95 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
My HDA:

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:57 am

did you change the user password on the hda by any chance?
through the web interface it'll change both the linux user & the smb user password but if you've changed your password on the hda cli with the passwd command you'll also need to run the smbpasswd command because the samba password is not automatically linked to the linux password.

Also isn't this the same issue as the F10 first user bug cpg?
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD