SOLVED: Accessing the Shared Folders

Sqwirtle

SOLVED: Accessing the Shared Folders

Postby Sqwirtle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 am

This is my first server and am quite excited to get everything up and running and am learning a lot!

I have installed Amahi 7.1 on Fedora 19.

On my personal desktop (Windows 7) I see HDA under the Network and when I click it, I find all the shared folders. My problem is that I cannot open a folder. I get the Window Security login box and I have tried every possible combination of user, domains, and pw I can think of.
  • WORKGROUP\Chris
    HOME\Chris
    home.com\Chris
    etc.
My workgroup is WORKGROUP for this computer. I think that is what Amahi is set to as well but since I have read that there is no UI for workgroup in the dashboard in 7 anymore, I do not know how to check this.

I have visited https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Shares_troubleshooting which was perfect but to no avail.

Under the Shares tab in my HDA, all fodlers have Access to all users.

I tried to SSH into server and went to the "Docs" shared folder and tried to create a test document and I got an error when trying to write it out, "Permission denied"

Thanks for any possible help!
Last edited by Sqwirtle on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Accessing the Shared Folders

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:06 am

The user name and password is the one you created on install. Have you tried that? If it's not working, then there may be something more serious wrong.

Try creating another user via the Amahi dashboard on your HDA. Then try to see if that user name/password works.

Also ensure you don't have a firewall blocking access.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Sqwirtle

Postby Sqwirtle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 am

On my original user name, I tried to SSH into server and went to the "Docs" shared folder and tried to create a test document and I got an error when trying to write it out, "Permission denied"

I then created another account from the dashboard (not an admin). Used this to try and get into the folders via windows explorer. It actually worked, getting me into the folder, but then I couldn't add a file.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:50 am

Permissions issue I see. It works best from Windows if your windows credentials and Amahi crednetials match.

Check the permissions on /var/hda/files/docs on the HDA. See if the folder is owned by your first admin user:users.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Sqwirtle

Postby Sqwirtle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:11 am

So it seems that after I click the picture of the wrench/screwdriver to clear all permissions for each folder, the picture chagnes to a smiley face and I can now access via windows explorer.

Can you explain what happened here? Just trying to understand. Thanks for the super fast responses and help!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 am

The permissions were probably not quite correct. It is something that happens occasionally to some users, but we have not been able to track it down.

Main thing is it's working, so no worries.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Sqwirtle

Re: SOLVED: Accessing the Shared Folders

Postby Sqwirtle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:59 pm

I didn't realize at first but I am actually still only able to access all the folders under the 2nd created account. I still cannot use the original account.

I used my first name for the original account so I don't want to have to make another account for me since I wanted my first name to be it. Why would the original account not work/have permissions. Is there anything I can do?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Delete the first account and create it again. Make sure the second one one is admin first and logged in as that user.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Sqwirtle

Postby Sqwirtle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:10 pm

That's what I wanted to do but the admin box next to the first (original) account's name is grayed out, even after I make the 2nd account admin. And if t he account is admin, there is no red x to delete in the top right.

I was hoping I could do this all in the dashboard and I didn't need to SSH in since my command prompt skills are not fantastic.

I think if I can delete that first account and recreate it, everything will be working as intended.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 pm

You have to log out as the first user. Log in as the second and then you can delete the original user. Do not manually delete and create from the command line as it will break things.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager