[SOLVED] File Transfer Speed

Spency

[SOLVED] File Transfer Speed

Postby Spency » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Hello All,

On my iMac running latest OSX, I get great speeds (about 10mb/s.) On both my linux laptops (one runs ubuntu 13.04 the oher runs Mint 14.) On both the transfer speed hovers at maybe 130kb/s.

I tried increasing the speed of samba, which helped but not enough on these laptops. The HDA is also only accessible through the network interface in nemo, and it's listed under "Windows Nework -> Winterland -> HDA" (winterland is the actual name of my network group name.) On OSX the HDA is autmounted on start up, and generally navigating the folders is quite fast.

I found similar posts here, but most discussedd how to get speeds faster than 50mb/s. I would like to get up to that speed if it's possible. :P

I'm running ubuntu server 12.04 64 with Amahi on a modified laptop. I'm using apples airport extreme as my main hub. I have 5 devices conntecting wirelessly to this setup: namely, 1 apple desktop and 2 apple mobile devices, and then two linux laptops.

Terribly annoying problem.
Last edited by Spency on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgtfoo

Re: File Transfer Speed

Postby sgtfoo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:34 pm

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but your problem is the laptop as the HDA.

Laptop chipsets and drives are meant for low heat and low power consumption. As such they will not generate the throughput of a full-on machine. Read up on the other transfer speed threads... we covered nearly all the bases.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

Spency

Postby Spency » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:10 am

While that may be a reasonable guess, we would have to ignore the fact that some devices have faster transfer speed than others on the this seems to be operating system specific.
I have read some of the existing threads regarding transfer speeds, however, as I may have mentioned in my first post, they are not totally relevant to my issue either - because my issue is not an issue on all machines, and it's always the same machines that have the same transfer rates.

The laptop is also sufficiently cooled via fanned dock - so I have a hard time accepting that the reason why my network speed is slow on my mint box but fast on my iMac, so ultimately due to the fact that it's a laptop.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:47 pm

There are so many variables that affect transfer speeds that it's sometimes hard to nail down. I have experienced them as well myself, but rather than waste a lot of time trying to figure it out I just live with it. It could be anything from the network card to the cabling, router, or even HDA itself.

Could always be worse, transferring files via CD or even floppy disk LOL
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Spency

Postby Spency » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Router got reset. Did a fresh install of ubuntu server 12.04 LTS + amahi. Everything seems to be working nicely now.