Samba mapping issue is making me insane.

bluepoppy

Samba mapping issue is making me insane.

Postby bluepoppy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm connecting a Windows 7 machine to a Samba share on my Amahi box. Or trying to anyway. On one Windows 7 machine, the connections work fine. On the other, I keep getting "The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

All of my clever googling of this error has led me to ONE unresolved issue with an Ubuntu server (they got it working by rolling back the OS version to one that worked) and LOTS of useless, obviously unrelated crap about connecting XP to Win7 shares.
I've checked /var/log/samba and found nothing different in the logs between the computer that's connecting and the one that's not. I've added and deleted different authentication options in /etc/samba/smb.conf. I've played with Local Security Policy editor on the Windows 7 machine. I've messed with it's work groups and it's credentials. It's not part of a Domain.

So I consulted with folks on reddit (/r/linuxquestions and /r/sysadmin, most specifically). Someone suggested enabling guests on the share and configuring it to connect as guest without credentials. When trying to log on as guest, I'm getting "System Error 1240 has occurred: The account is not authorized to log in from this station." That's if I use net use. If I try to log on as guest from "Map Network Drive" it just keeps demanding credentials over and over again. The win 7 machine that has no problems connecting as a normal smb user also has no problems connecting as guest. I'm 99.9% sure that smb.conf is configured correctly and that both errors are related to some bs in Windows. I've gone into both regedit and the local policy editor and allowed unencrypted passwords. Not that these are enabled on the working machine, but that's what Microsoft suggests the second error is caused by when connecting to a third party smb server.

It's probably worth noting that the machine this is working from is a Windows 7 Ultimate machine (my gaming rig) and the one it's NOT working from is a work laptop running 7 Pro (but not connected to a Domain). This machine has no problem connecting to Windows shares from a fracking 2003 server. And yes, I am an administrator on it (THE administrator).

Here's the log file from Samba for connecting as guest

And for connecting as a samba user.

Yes, it's been pointed out that the log shows it failing to find user "guest" but -why- does guest log on work fine on the other machine? It's been suggested that this may be related to "guest" mapping as "nobody" in windows -> linux samba, but trying to log on with "net use m: \\10.1.10.9\MOM /user:nobody" also produces the "not authorized from this workstation" error.

sgtfoo

Re: Samba mapping issue is making me insane.

Postby sgtfoo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:39 am

Removing all complication and funny business, it's very simple...

1) You must have the same workgroup setup in the Amahi dashboard as that of the Windows 7 machines you wish to use the shares.
2) Your users on your Windows 7 machines must have credentials matching those users setup on your Amahi Dashboard.
3) Your Windows 7 machines must be able to ping the Amahi server
4) after reboots your shares should be visible if you map the IP of the Amahi server.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

bluepoppy

Postby bluepoppy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 am

I appreciate the reply sarge, but

1) Done.

2) Done.

3) Done.

4) Nope.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 am

Could we trouble you to post your smb.conf, and /etc/fstab ? (minus usernames/ private stuff)
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

bluepoppy

Postby bluepoppy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Just to keep you posted, it WAS in fact a problem with Windows security policies, Guests were explicitly forbidden to connect. I had to fix this in Local Security Policy editor.

As for the "Requested Operation" error. . . that's one's still an unsolved mystry, but solving it just got a lot less urgent.