Samba Password Length

nemolomen

Samba Password Length

Postby nemolomen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:06 am

I'd like to let everyone know about something I just figured out.

We've been running an Amahi server for about 8 months, in three different incarnations. A couple of months ago our original server encountered an unrecoverable error and I had to start over, twice due to having used a bad motherboard in the second. So now we are on our third set of hardware and OS/Amahi install.

After recreating the server, my son was unable to access any of the shares from any of his accounts (same username and password) on any machine in the house. Everyone else, however, could access all of the shares they were set up to have access to. This was really bugging me.

Last night I discovered why it didn't work. He had an unusually long password (14 characters) which worked with our original incarnation of the server, but not with either of the two more recent ones.

I'm not sure if this is a password size limitation with a newer version of samba or some database in the server architecture that had a field size limitation or some other reason. He has a shorter password now and everything is working as expected.

I hope this saves someone else hours of frustration.

Nemolomen
nemolomen

My HDA (3rd): ECS A770M-A, Phenom X3 2.4 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 800MHz, / 40 GB, /home 80 GB, data 1TB, 500GB, 320GB

rampage355

Re: Samba Password Length

Postby rampage355 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 am

I will test this tonight and submit a bug if I run into the same issue.