File Transfer Problems After Reinstall

malderon

File Transfer Problems After Reinstall

Postby malderon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 am

Hi I'm a bit of a linux beginner so apologies if I use the wrong terminology and don't make much sense in the post below.

I've been running an Amahi box for a while now, the other day my primary drive failed and I had to do a reinstall. Although I appreciate that Amahi for Ubuntu 12.04 is now the latest version I had reinstalled previously on Fedora and been fine and the Risk Averse person in me wanted to change as little as possible so I went for another Fedora 14 install.

I successfully reinstalled amahi / fedora and recovered my Greyhole shares. Everything seemed to be going fantastically, I even added a few more apps that I didn't use before such as Sabnzbd and Mediatomb.

However, it seems now there are serious problems copying files to the HDA shares. These problems seem to mirror previous problems I had where the primary partition "/" fills up when it is acting as the greyhole Landing Zone.

However, although it looks like this is the problem, the partition isn't full! If I start copying a file lets say its 2GB in size, what will happen is that it will very rapidly copy the first 500MB (70 MB /s or so), it will then stop, and start copying very very slowly, or even half entirely. Meanwhile the HDA stops responding until I cancel the copy.

After searching the forums I have tried)

Changing the MTU size from 1500 to 1496
Installing the Realtek driver rather than the one that comes with Fedora 14 for my network card.
Stopped "mount_shares_locally" service (only did this because I can't remember whether I had the problems before I used this script)

I don't know whether its relevent but because it was intended to be a temporary install until I purchased a new primary hard drive/SSD Amahi/Fedora is currently installed on a 32GB USB Drive.

I have posted a reply on a thread which talks about the Realtek driver issue, so sorry for double posting, but as it seems it is not that issue after all I felt comfortable making a new thread. I have a feeling that installing Ubuntu will make all my problems go away, but I am reluctant to reconfigure all my apps etc!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: File Transfer Problems After Reinstall

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Not sure if installing Ubuntu will fix your problems. It is not a hard install, even with Greyhole drives. There is advice scattered throughout on potential file transfer solutions in the forums. It could be caused by many things, but hard to determine what is the root cause.

I would say if you are that concerned, try installing Ubuntu. You can also test it in a VM if you desire. I have heard some say that file transfers work much better in Ubuntu.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2