interacting with shares from windows (user feedback)

cpg
Administrator

interacting with shares from windows (user feedback)

Postby cpg » Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 am

interesting feedback from a user ...
Thanks for your moral support ;-)

The thing is, that normally windows shares are very vulnerable but also very easy to get access to from other windows workstations. So if i have all xp computers or all vista computers I can very easily make and access shares on the other computers in my network. If that would be the standard, also in Amahi?
not sure i understand that question, but ease of access is part of the idea with Amahi, absolutely.
Now with standard settings I have to make sure I log in etc. That should not be needed; only in cases where security is the number one issue. So normal file permissions, write permissions, guest permissions etc should be higher than in your existing standard. Would that make sense? And if for one reason one would like to change the samba configuration, and keep it whilst using amahi for adding or changing shares, that would be a great feature.
not sure i understand this other question either, but let me try to answer.

are you trying to say our default security settings ought to be stronger or weaker?

at some point perhaps we could ask about that (whether the default settings would be "loose" or "tight") at configuration or install time. at the moment we tried to strike a compromise.
May I suggest -as a dumb user- some things that make life for ordinary windows users more simple?

E.g. when I add one click applications I would like to use earlier uploaded files in these apps. To give you an example: the photo gallery is not using the samba directory that I have for photo's. I have to look at it as a separate app and get all my pictures again in the directories that this app is pointing to. It would be an enormous help if that could be changed. So it is only packaging applications for one click install, but also changing the defaults in those packages to be able to integrate these apps and have data in ONE place, whether it would be documents (xls, doc, rtf, open office, whatever), pictures, sound or video...
this is EXACTLY what we're trying to do, medium to long term!

it takes time, however ... :)

and contributors who know more about the apps and we understand what we can do to them to make them even more usable!
If you would be able to build this into this Amahi server, that would be great. This means also for the contributing developpers that you have to supply them with your chosen standards, whatever they may be. This could well be a different standard than what fedora, mepis or ubuntu would look like ;-) And of course I am forgetting some things. I hope I have expressed myself in such a way that you understand what I mean by these suggestions.

Thanks and good luck ;-)

W.K.
in the Amahi Application Gallery, some apps have a red A from the wiki logo over their logo (amahitunes, blog, wiki ...). this means they are more (maybe not fully) integrated!

thanks for your feedback!
(and patience with your samba settings)

i think you totally understand where the project is going :D

we need contributors to help making this possible!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1