Manual Compile of Kernel 3.x.x causes loss of data drives

pjcrux

Manual Compile of Kernel 3.x.x causes loss of data drives

Postby pjcrux » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:08 pm

OK, you know when I'm bored I manage to royally eff up my HDA. I posed this question in #fedora and all I got was "if you know F14 is EOL why are asking for support?" I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. :)
quick question all: this may be simple or more complex than I'm making it but I can't figure out the issue. First I'm running F14 64 bit 2.6.35-104 kernel works well. however for grins and giggles I decided to compile not only 3.0.0 but the 3.1.7 kernel. k no big deal. However, 3.0.0 and 3.1.7 only recognize the swap partition and main OS partition on the 160GB drive (sda1) I have setup. the two 3.x.x kernels will not recognize the two partitions that I have for 1.5GB and 1tb drives of sdb1 and sdc1. I've checked /etc/fstab and all drives show by UUID in 3.x.x kernels. The machine will boot fine but when I try to access //hda/foo it doesn't show (which is what led me to the error).
However, if each kernel has all backported patches from all previous kernels why is this an issue?

Thoughts, complaints, headslaps, or wtf's? :idea: :?:
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

moredruid
Expert

Re: Manual Compile of Kernel 3.x.x causes loss of data drive

Postby moredruid » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:24 am

first: are all the drives of the same type (SATA/USB/IDE) or do they differ?
If they are of the same type: do you have LVM enabled on your data drives?
Also on your OS drives? if not: check for LVM (may also be called device-mapper) support in your current kernel. It should be there by default, but you can easily strip it out so maybe you did that.

If you recompiled your kernel as-is it may be that some current options are just dead ends in the new kernel and that they have a different name in the new kernel. That's the only thing I can come up with that could explain the issue.

If the issue persists I recommend either the Fedora IRC or the kernel.org IRC, they can help you out. This is definately an OS issue, not an Amahi issue.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD