CLOSED:User password mismatch after changing password in hda

warrentheo

CLOSED:User password mismatch after changing password in hda

Postby warrentheo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 am

I changed the password for my only username on my server the other day, and since then have been unable to login to the samba server with windows. The password works when I am using the linux side of things (vnc and such), but I can't log into the amahi web interface or into samba from the windows servers.

Any help on this would be appreciated

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: User password mis-match after changing password in hda w

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:30 am

If you changed the user name or password via command line, that is why you cannot log in. It must be changed via the dashboard. Best thing to do would be to change it back and do it from the dashboard.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

warrentheo

Postby warrentheo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:18 am

The dashboard was what I used both times :-(

I am am more than adept at windows systems, but fairly new to *nix systems. However I didn't use the passwd command line at any time.

I did have a VirtualBox Windows server running at the time (launched from a root console), as well as the entire samba tree mounted locally on the server with the username in question. And I am wondering if that prevented a clean change through the dashboard.

While it would be difficult but not impossible to reinstall from scratch, I think I would learn more from trying to fix it instead... I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction

Any help would be appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:57 pm

There is a script called reset-user-password that you can try. It has to be run from /var/hda/platform/html/scripts directory.

The syntax is: ./reset-user-password username
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

BigMcLargeHuge

Postby BigMcLargeHuge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:13 pm

If you changed the user name or password via command line, that is why you cannot log in. It must be changed via the dashboard. Best thing to do would be to change it back and do it from the dashboard.
I just ran into this today where I changed my password via the command line using passwd but Samba still used my old password. Is there any way to force Samba to use /etc/shadow for passwords, instead of whatever it is using now?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:25 pm

Never do it via command line. This is why we provide the capability in the dashboard.

Can you access the dashboard with a different user? Not sure how to sync them other than using Webmin app. Might want to check the internet.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

WiFiNetGuy

Postby WiFiNetGuy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:03 am

I'm having a similar issues. Newly installed 7.1 (Fedora 19). I created a user "Admin" during installation and gave it a password, let's call it "initial". Came up and activated just fine. I also created a user called Everyone with a password of "everyone". After that, I copied all data from a HDD that was in a previously installed Ubuntu system. It had all of the customer data on it. I put the data into the Public share via a cp command. After that, Everyone could map a drive to the Public share (this is a Windows XP and 7 environment) and could view the files present in the share but couldn't execute them. So to test it I remapped the share and logged in with the Admin user. All worked as expected. So I just decided to change the Admin user's password to something simple and let all users map the share as the Admin user. I changed the Admin password to something else, let's call it "new" via the Amahi web interface. Now, I can log into the Amahi server with the "new" password but mapping the shares still requires the "initial" password.

So my question is two-fold:

1 - Is there a way that I should changes things so that the Everyone user can execute everything on the share?
2 - Is there another place that I should change the Admin user's password so that it is the same system-wide?

Thanks in advance for any help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:23 pm

1 - Is there a way that I should changes things so that the Everyone user can execute everything on the share?
The user password issue may be due to Samba not restarting as needed. You can restart it manually as root user and that should fix things.

Code: Select all

systemctl restart smb.service
Another issue may be Windows. It often saves user name and passwords for network shares. You may need to check to ensure that is not the case here. Create a new user in Amahi dashboard and try accessing the shares using those credentials.
2 - Is there another place that I should change the Admin user's password so that it is the same system-wide?
Changing it in the Dashboard is the only place needed. It should change it system wide.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

WiFiNetGuy

Postby WiFiNetGuy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Unfortunately, restarting the SAMBA server (smb.service) didn't resolve the password problem. The Admin user login password is correct (the one I changed it to). However, the map drive password is still the initial password that I used when the Admin user was initially setup.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:12 pm

ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager