Transmission/torrents share permissions problems

kikkegek

Transmission/torrents share permissions problems

Postby kikkegek » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:20 am

although now my problem with greyhole seems to be resolved and I have all my files back. I have a new problem.

I am still having trouble accessing and moving files around the shares in Amahi.

I have stopped moving them around on the amahi server and I only move them around from my windows clients, because I messed up greyhole by doing it on the server before.

can anybody help me how to check file and folder persmissions on my shares?

I can see all the files, but:
1. i can not move files downloaded by transmission to a different location

2. i can not create, move, delete files in mu torrent folder //var/hda/files/torrents although I have set permissions for read and write in the hda-setup for myself for this share

3. I can read both of these folders and browse them

it seems transmission problem?
Last edited by gboudreau on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic from Greyhole thread, to gain visibility

kikkegek

Re: Transmission/torrents share permissions problems

Postby kikkegek » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 am

I noticed something, doing a little more research.

I CAN place files in the folder and also delete them.

It is just the files that are downloaded by transmission, that are not movable or deletable. I can play them when they are movie files, and I can read them if they are subtitle files.

please advise....apperently transmission is keeping these files for itself.
[jochen@AMAHI torrents]$ ls -al
total 960748
drwxrwxrwx 7 jochen users 4096 Aug 9 20:08 .
drwxr-xr-x. 13 jochen users 4096 Aug 3 16:50 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 transmission transmission 370384896 Aug 9 20:07 a-downloaded-filename-name.avi

radioz

Postby radioz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:34 pm

It looks to be a permissions problem:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 transmission transmission 370384896 Aug 9 20:07 a-downloaded-filename-name.avi

I'm not familiar with how transmission is supposed to be configured, but either you need to add yourself to the 'transmission' group, or you need to change the group that transmission uses (to users?).

livesonwater2632

Postby livesonwater2632 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm

It is definitely a permission problem. I don't use Greyhole, so I'm not really sure how you should go about modifying the existing permissions for files already in your share. But to correct the permission errors in the future, you need to modify the Transmission config file. Instructions for how to due this are in the wiki here (last section). Be sure to stop the transmission daemon (amahi-transmission) before you edit the file, or the changes won't save.

kikkegek

Postby kikkegek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:27 am

It looks to be a permissions problem:

I'm not familiar with how transmission is supposed to be configured, but either you need to add yourself to the 'transmission' group, or you need to change the group that transmission uses (to users?).
can you help me how I would add transmission to the USERS group or how to add myself to the transmission group, because I opened a VNC session and "users and groups" but there is no transmission user nor group

radioz

Postby radioz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:16 pm

If you are using System->Administration->Users and Groups, select Edit->Preferences and then un-select 'hide system users and groups'. That should cause all groups to show up in the list.

I don't use Transmission, but I assume you should see Transmission in the groups list. If so, double click on it in the list. This should bring up the group properties dialog for transmission. Click on the 'Group Users' tab and select the username for each person you want to be able to use transmission.

That's it.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have problems.

kikkegek

Postby kikkegek » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:01 pm

If you are using System->Administration->Users and Groups, select Edit->Preferences and then un-select 'hide system users and groups'. That should cause all groups to show up in the list.

I don't use Transmission, but I assume you should see Transmission in the groups list. If so, double click on it in the list. This should bring up the group properties dialog for transmission. Click on the 'Group Users' tab and select the username for each person you want to be able to use transmission.

That's it.

thanks I did just that. added the users to the transmission group and everything is fine now. thanks!

radioz

Postby radioz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Nice. I'm glad that fixed it for you.

wobbly

Postby wobbly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:39 am

That's it.

hello iam trying to do this .. do i do this, on linux side or windows side or Amahi web interface...... thank you

kikkegek

Postby kikkegek » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:03 am

That's it.

hello iam trying to do this .. do i do this, on linux side or windows side or Amahi web interface...... thank you
easiest is to login using VNC and then follow the directions given here.

or if you are familiar with the xterm you can use SSH and putty.exe to do this. But I wouldnt know how!