Server Failer. Greyhole data recovery

flemingfamily

Server Failer. Greyhole data recovery

Postby flemingfamily » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Ok i live on the east cost of the USA and we had a major power outage in January. i dont know if it was the hard shutdown or if the power surged before hand but the sata controller on my server died a few weeks later.( wont see one of the drives and slows down to sata I from sata II) be big problem is that i had Greyhole running and i want to know if the data is recoverable and how i would do that. i know if you went in to the filesystem were the drivers were all the files were divided up between them can i just pull all the data from that??

Thanks

Workdawg

Re: Server Failer. Greyhole data recovery

Postby Workdawg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:01 pm

I'm not a pro at greyhole or anything, but as long as you weren't running raid 0, can't you just pull the drives and take data off them manually? As far as I've figured out so far, greyhole just moves files around and automatically creates links and stuff like that.

VirtualMe

Postby VirtualMe » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Workdawg is right, you can just plug your hard drives into a computer that will understand the file system it is using, and read the files off of it. Greyhole makes full copies of files on the different hard drives in the storage pool.

evylrat

Postby evylrat » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:27 am

Then follow this post's instructions to get your existing greyhole files up and running again.
http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 39&p=12227

flemingfamily

Postby flemingfamily » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for the help. that's how i thought it worked but its good to know for sure.

Thanks