Shares permissions

jimbop99

Shares permissions

Postby jimbop99 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Under the permissions section of each share there are two check boxes. One for access and one for writable. I had a situation the other day where my son wanted to use some pictures on the server. He had access, but writable was unchecked. He ended up deleting several pictures/folders. Luckily I have all my pictures backed up in several locations so not a big deal. My question is: Is there any way to make the pictures accessible but not allow him to delete them? Thanks.

techlife

Re: Shares permissions

Postby techlife » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:13 pm

As I am about to be bringing my server fully online this weekend, I would really like to know the answer to this as well. The last thing I need is someone deleting a movie on the server. I believe in Windoze, it would be a "read only" permission... (Yes, I am a WHS Fail convert)

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 pm

i assume you are using windows to access the share.
is you son or other user using his own login? ie the username & password on the hda that is not writable?
or has access been granted to that share with the user with full permissions?

run smbstatus from the shell to see who is connected.

Wrekker

Postby Wrekker » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:52 pm

I had the same issue. Although i had two users, only one had write permission under amahi setup, however, both could write/delete files.

Apparently you have to edit the smb.conf file. See the thread:

http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=11978

Hope this helps.

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:42 pm

just remember that this is for samba only and those clients connecting via samba (normally windows clients)
if you use a mixture of clients eg windoze & nix etc, then it may be best to open up samba fully and granulate access with file permissions instead.

jimbop99

Postby jimbop99 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks for the replies. I will check into the samba settings when I get the chance. For now, he has learned not to delete any thing and to make copies of things he wants to use.

jimmyh

Postby jimmyh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 pm

jimbop99

Postby jimbop99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks jimmyh.

sag47

Postby sag47 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Depending on your experience with Linux you could go to the location of the shares and manually modify their permissions.

See the chmod command

dmserver

Postby dmserver » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Depending on your experience with Linux you could go to the location of the shares and manually modify their permissions.

See the chmod command
WinSCP is very useful for checking and changing permissions from a remote Win PC. I read about this on another thread a few days ago when I was trying to set up my NAS to mount in /var/hda/downloads and accept the Transmission files.

I'm new to Linux so permissions were really getting to me (compared to windows just not caring about them)
WinSCP made it easy for me to see where things were going wrong on folder and file permissions and I would say is almost the one thing that got it working for me (as well as good old google). I was even able to log into my NAS running Snake OS and change permissions on it as well.

http://winscp.net/
Amahi Server
Tyan S3022 : Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz
3Ghz DDR2
80Gb OS : 3 x 200Gb Storage : 1.5Tb NAS running Snake OS