\\hda does not show

eldano

\\hda does not show

Postby eldano » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:11 am

Everything looks like it is working, but I can’t access ‘\\hda’ from my other computers (running Ubuntu). Samba in Workgroup is working fine.

I could access ‘\\hda’ fine with my first install, but now I reinstalled and I can’t. The only difference now is that I have 2 disk drives mounted and are ‘pooling’ the larger storage one.

I’m expecting this is happening because I switched off the DHCP server on my router too soon/late(?). Anyone got some ideas?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: \\hda does not show

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:52 am

Make sure you have renewed the DHCP lease for your clients. I would not think the addition of a drive would have anything to do with it. Also, could be related to Fedora or Ubuntu updates. Sometimes they update the software and it causes compatibility issues.

Recommend you check out the shares info in the wiki regarding linux systems.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/SharingToLinux
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

eldano

Postby eldano » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:21 am

I have not updated fedora yet.
Should I run yum update? Or better not to?

Could my problem have anything to do with the moment I switched off my DHCP server in the router during Fedora/Amahi install? Because I was thinking, better maybe to do a new system install now, and do it right, then when I have totally filled my HDA.

And if I read the link, it says:
I was having trouble in Ubuntu accessing my network drives. I used "Connect to server..." under "Places" and I was able to access the files fine until I needed to access them in Firefox or other programs to upload them.

It was explained to me that it's being mounted via Nautilus and that's not truely "mounted" in the linux sense.
But I cant even reach them under nautilus.. the \\hda\xxxx location. I have not tried firefox yet

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 am

Best if you follow the instructions and not turn off your DHCP on the router until you verified the HDA is working.

Fedora updates are optional, but I have found in the past that sometimes the updates resolve my issues. Amahi is designed with the install DVD in mind and should function well without updates. Now given that, sometimes updates actually break Amahi but we usually catch and fix it quick.

To the best of my knowledge, everthing is working fine now. My HDA is updated daily and no issues noted so far.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

eldano

Postby eldano » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 am

So the windows PC that I have on that same network says that my username or password might be wrong when I try to login to \\HDA. Does that help pinpointing the problem?

So I'll update fedora now.. see if that helps.. :S and otherwise I don't now what to do. Install Amahi again?? or is this fixable?

Thank you for the answers!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:57 am

You use your first admin user in Amahi for the shares. Did you release/renew IP on the clients after you installed Amahi? That is important.

I am sure its fixable, just sorting out what the issue is could be difficult.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

eldano

Postby eldano » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:37 am

I did do the install in a hurry, so I you might have done something wrong in the steps.
I still know that I tried to access the Internet before I did the first reboot and couldn't. I think my laptop was still on when I rebooted and turned off the dhcp on the router.
Is that what you mean with renewing the ip's?

Because I think something went wrong there.
When I try to access \\hda now, it doesnt ask me to fill in anything it just gives an error and tells me to call the admin, but that's me sadly ;)

(I can do the install again, but the really proper.. I have nothing of importance at the moment in the hda, should take about 2h)

eldano

Postby eldano » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Mm I have now info now and its partially working now.
I reinstalled fedora and amahi. I still have the same problem. But I now found out that my windows Vista PC that have not booted up in my network during the time that the previous installs of amahi where on, can find \\hda with out any problem!

So I'm thinking that the problem lies with my 'client' pc's (ubuntu laptop, xp HTPC) that have logged on to the previous installment of the amahi server! And somehow remembering, wrongly some log-on info!

Does anyone have a clue in what can fix this problem?

What I now get as a response of my ubuntu laptop as I navigate to "\\HDA" in the file manager is:
could not find "network:///%5C%5Chda".
Please check the spelling and try again
Edit: now it gives a different message, not sure why:
could not find "home/daan/\\hda"
Please check spelling and try again
Thanks

(ps, for all PC's in my network, the amahi samba shares can be accessed normally)