File Syncronization?

NeveSSL

File Syncronization?

Postby NeveSSL » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi all!

I am really looking forward to using Amahi! I am fairly new to Linux, but I'm anxious to finally do a home server (albeit virtual for now ;) ).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs I could run that would automatically sync files? What I would like is for all of my "My Documents" (music, too, but I believe that can be done otherwise :) ) on my machines (currently only two) to sync up and also be backed up on the server. I would still like for the documents to be local, though, so when I take my laptop to work everything is there and waiting.

I've got a feeling there may be possible solutions for this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Brandon

cpg
Administrator

Re: File Syncronization?

Postby cpg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:04 am

this is a very very interesting topic!
we looked a bit into it and there are a couple of possibilities.

probably unison is the best thing out there. it has linux clients, windows clients, the linux version is there

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7712

i think it could be made into a server app.

there is also conduit, but it's GUI-driven.

we are starting our developer program, so if you are interested in helping out, that'd be great!
discussing this is interesting. it's very useful and one of the more often requested features.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

NeveSSL

Postby NeveSSL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:26 am

Thanks for the reply, cpg. :)

I am far from a developer... my associates degree is in computer science, but C++ about killed me... :lol:

I will check those out and see what I can come up with. I'm having fun with Fedora and Amahi both now that I got them installed. I love virtual machines... I can't wait to get this on a dedicated machine! :)

Brandon

NeveSSL

Postby NeveSSL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:06 am

Just FWIW, it looks like Unison is where its at for my solution! It will even work over the internet in small increments. Nice. 8-)

Now to learn more about Linux and figure out how to install it. ;)

EDIT: Conduit seems to be more geared toward Linux only. BUT, Conduit still does some awesome things that will be really handy to have, specifically the ability to sync folders to photo sites. I will be using that for sure. :)

Brandon

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:30 am

our "developer" program also has a "maintainer" role you can participate in where you simply maintain an app by tuning it to work well for everyone in the Amahi community. it's like being a mini expert at using an app.

one thing we can do is help you with that. if you can articulate the steps you took to make the setup you are interested in work, chances are many other people are interested also!

you can write it (ideally) in the wiki or write about it here and we can help making it into a one-click app install!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

NeveSSL

Postby NeveSSL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:41 am

Oh, ok, that makes sense.

I'm a full time grad student, married, working full time, and new to Linux (it took me an hour to install the Java runtime environment... :lol: ), so it may take me a while but I will definitely do my best to document what I do! :)

Brandon