Setting Up Hard Drives

shu

Setting Up Hard Drives

Postby shu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Ok I am new to amahi so please dont be to harsh hehee..

I have 3 hard drives. One 500gb and 2 1tereabyte hard drives. I was thinking of setting up LVM I like the fact of it looking like one harddive. I have read the documentation here http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/lin ... h-lvm.html and understand. I would one go about setting it up that it plays nice with the /var/hda/files I am not to sure where to mount it the volume too.

Thanks

cpg
Administrator

Re: Setting Up Hard Drives

Postby cpg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Ok I am new to amahi so please dont be to harsh hehee..
we're never harsh ;)
I have 3 hard drives. One 500gb and 2 1tereabyte hard drives. I was thinking of setting up LVM I like the fact of it looking like one harddive. I have read the documentation here http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/lin ... h-lvm.html and understand. I would one go about setting it up that it plays nice with the /var/hda/files I am not to sure where to mount it the volume too.
Thanks
not real clear what you mean, but let me try to answer.

i personally do not use lvm. i think it's nice, but i fear (perhaps naively?) that a single drive may take the rest with them.

anyway, basically, if you can mount the root of the volume as /var/hda/files, you should be fine.
just copy what you had there on to it before beginning. e.g.:

Code: Select all

rsync -av /var/hda/files/* /mnt/temp/location/of/the/volume/
then mount the volume in /var/hda/files.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

shu

Postby shu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:03 pm

Ok,

This is what I did. I setup during install a 2 gb swap partition and the rest went to /

I have not set up the other drive thought.

I have 2 terybyte drives I dont want one whole drive to be dedicated for like my picture share for example. I want to be able to create shares and not worry about that share running out of space.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:19 pm

I want to be able to create shares and not worry about that share running out of space.
that seems to fir the bill for LVM.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:14 am

yup, this is where LVM shines.
to create an LVM you can substitute the commands listed in the wiki with pvcreate, vgcreate and lvcreate.

just make sure you mount the volume group and logical volume as /var/hda/ so you won't run into trouble with the backups of your pba functionality :ugeek:
extending it will just extend the space so if you ever want to add additional disks you can extend your volumegroup and logical volumes and don't worry about mount points etc.

my setup (from the top of my head, I might be off a little)
2 disks: /dev/sda 40GB IDE & /dev/sdb 1TB SATA

Code: Select all

#this is the old way of partitioning /dev/sda1 /boot 500M ext3 /dev/sda2 / 10GB ext3 /dev/sda3 /home 27,5GB ext3 /dev/sda4 swap 2GB #LVM /dev/sdb1 = /dev/vgdata/lvdata /var/hda 1TB ext3
With a little luck I can pick up my RMA'd HDD (750GB) today and add it to my LVM soon
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

shu

Postby shu » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:20 am

I read that you want to mount in /var/hda/files not /var/hda because some files are in /var/hda required for boot
Im I correct in this.

Now only if I could get my dhcpd to start I would be off and running reinstalling tonight with my onboard lan disabled.

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:42 am

It's somewhat true that your hda functionality may be hampered if it has some config files residing in /var/hda, however this will not mean you won't be able to boot into your system (if necessary even in single mode for really bad situations).
just placing /var on a different disk may bork your system if the drive on which /var resides goes boinkers, that's what that discussion was about :)

Until now the pba functionality is still dropping the backups outside the /var/hda/files directory, and this threw me off since I want to do frequent backups and I only have a very small primary drive on which the backups were written. You can work around this, but cpg has already mentioned the pba backups should be located in the files directory so we may see this in a next release.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD