Transfer Speed

jonathankonrad

Re: Transfer Speed

Postby jonathankonrad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 pm

At 80 MB/s I think you are approaching average disk transfer rates. Once you start adding in all the overheads of buffering, network traffic, OS latencies, and head seek times, I don't think you should expect it much faster than that.
Ok thanks. Is it the greyhole technology that brings down the transfer rates to about half that (35 - 40 Mb/s) when moving folders of files instead of single files?

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:15 am

I'm keeping an eye on this thread because I'm hoping to get good transfer speeds over 1 Gbps ethernet when my Gigabit switch arrives tomorrow (the useless BT Home Hub only has one Gigabit ethernet socket :evil:). At the moment I'm lucky to get 1-2 MB/s over WiFi and a steady 11.2 MB/s over 100 Mbps ethernet (which is to be expected).

As others have said, anything over 80 MB/s probably isn't possible in most setups due to overheads etc. Of course you could always wait for 10 Gbps ethernet. ;)

nalleju

Postby nalleju » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 am

Windows 7 has a random problem that affects people all over, me includen on one machine.
Giga ethernet cards get to be 100M atfter some updates.
This started in augusta and the web is full of reports and non workin solutions.
Check wat speed your card is on.

Giga net is extreamly sensible and just getting your PC on the cable can brac all communications.

Check your cables, switch places, check lighti on switch...

Try with and without AnttiVirus.

Win 7 also sometimes forgets to close programs that tack up all of one core doing nothin, check and kill. Reboot do not alvays work on this.

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:17 am

I've just mounted some shares locally on my Amahi server (using instructions from http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally) and moving files from one share to another is painfully slow (5.5 MB/s) even with no other remote file transfers taking place. How can moving files locally be sooooo slooooooooow? Even copying files over 100 Mbps ethernet is faster than that!

nalleju

Postby nalleju » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:34 am

If you do not like to use commandline use Webmin and it performs file transfere at full speed.

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:59 am

Can I use the normal version of Webmin or do I need the Amahi App (not free)?

nalleju

Postby nalleju » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:12 am

Your pick.
The standard one is easy to install see my post on it.

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:49 am

I followed the guide (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/HowTo_Webmin) but I got a 404 error the first few times I did this:

rpm --import http://www.webmin.com/jcameron-key.asc​

It worked the on 4th try but now I just get this when trying to install it through yum:

Repository 'Webmin': Error parsing config: Error parsing "enabled = '1\xe2\x88\x8b'": invalid boolean value

So I gave up and followed the guide on the Webmin website and it worked. I think you need to update the URLs in that repo file! :)

OldSkul

Postby OldSkul » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:22 am

Sadly, i too have to confirm not very fast gigabit speed. I have HD Microserver n36l with broadcom nic and AMD 1,3Ghz CPU (Amahi 6.x). Before that i had Atom 1,6 server with crappy realtek nic (amahi 5.x).

I thought that with upgrade to amahi 6.x and new hardware, i will get more speed. BUT i am usually only getting around 50MB/s if i am writing to server or reading from server. I know that my LAN setup is OK, because i can transfer from two WIN 7 PCs with full gigabit speed - around 100MB/s.

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 am

After setting up my new Gigabit switch (which arrived 5 days late), I was getting transfers of ~35 MB/s. I then enabled jumbo frames of 9014 B on my client machine (Windows 7) and speeds improved to ~60 MB/s. After two hours of work I managed to install the latest Realtek drivers for my server's NIC in order to use jumbo frames on that too. The highest I could get to without running into memory allocation issues was 7004 B, so I've set it to that.

My speeds are now 80-85 MB/s when the server is idle. If Greyhole is still creating copies of recently copied files it's a bit slower.