mount_shares_locally revised wiki page help

madhatta

mount_shares_locally revised wiki page help

Postby madhatta » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:59 am

I am going to re-setup my local samba shares tonight after some previous issues and was thinking that I would need to point SickRage to use the /mnt/samba shares for placing and modifying files in the TV directory but this article (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_ ... es_locally) says that because the shares are only accessible to 1stadminuser, that this will not work as webapps typically use username of Apache. I am reading through the "Revise mount_shares_locally" section of the wiki page and it mentions a script to fix this issue but there is no link to such a script. Another closed forum post asks about this possible discrepancy on the wiki page and there is a reply saying that the article says to replace lines of code in the existing script, only. I only see lines of code in that wiki article for changing the reading of the smb.conf. Also that change mentioned in the article seems to be in the current mount_shares_locally script downloaded from http://dl.amahi.org/mount_shares_locally.fedora. Maybe this is already working with the current version of the script and apps (personally only concerned with SickRage) play nicely with the /mnt/samba share but I can't tell from reading the script. Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

I am using the one click SickRage install from the Amahi App...place.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: mount_shares_locally revised wiki page help

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:27 pm

There is no revised script. You have to make the changes specified in the article.

There is only one mount_shares_locally script as available in the wiki. You could also check the Greyhole web site.

You will find it mentions not to use Greyhole with file types. This may change how you want to use Greyhole with your shares.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

madhatta

Postby madhatta » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:39 pm

There is no revised script. You have to make the changes specified in the article.

There is only one mount_shares_locally script as available in the wiki. You could also check the Greyhole web site.

You will find it mentions not to use Greyhole with file types. This may change how you want to use Greyhole with your shares.
I looked through the guidance on what not to put in there, previously. Good information and I confirmed that this is not a concern for me. I solved the issue though. I verified that the the user "apache" does exist on the system (not sure how it was created) and that it is part of the users group. I made sure to change all my file permissions in the shares to 775 so that all users can modify, just in case. I had been setting everything as 755, previously, where only the 1stadminuser:users could modify existing files, I guess.

Some things to note from this rabbit hole dive, though:
  • The wording in the section about revised mount_share_locally (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_ ... es_locally) absolutely makes it seem as if there is a separate script to run the samba shares mounted at /mnt/apache and, as you noted, there is not a separate one. It's a bit confusing is all.
  • It seems that if someone was truly wanting to have a separate /mnt/apache share, a second script would be needed and not just the share query line change listed in the instructions as just editing the original script mounts the local shares as /mnt/samba. As I found though, this was not applicable in Amahi 10 as the apache user is already part of the users group and Amahi creates samba shares with permissions of 775, already (as seen from inspecting smb.conf).
  • The comment on the mount_shares_locally wiki page page saying to change line 25 to

Code: Select all

mysql -u root -p hda -e "select name from shares" hda_production | grep -v "^name$" | xargs -d "\n" mkdir -p
    has an added space between -p and hda that does not seem to allow the script to function. I left it as "-phda" as it was in the download script
    (http://dl.amahi.org/mount_shares_locally.fedora) from instructions for Amahi 7/8/9.
  • The mount_shares_locally script included in /usr/share/hda-ctl/ (Amahi 10 instructions) has a different database login and password than the standard one of root/hda that is listed everywhere else on the wiki and forums. Both accounts seem to work but I don't know if the credentials in the script included locally with Amahi 10 have different permissions to the db. I changed it to root/hda as that had worked for me, prior. This presents a problem with the last point though, that if someone changed the line in accordance with details on the wiki page, there would be a space between -p and hda
  • The mount_shares_locally script instructions for 7/8/9 works just fine with Amahi 10 as the script is still available for download from the link. As stated before, that version has what appears to be the best db login creds and no space in "-phda"
Anyway, I am no Linux (or Amahi) expert and these past weeks have been a crash course in setting up and admin'ing something besides a Windows Home Server box (coming from an old HP EX490 upgraded with a monitor header and faster/more processor/ram :D ). It has been a fun, time consuming, and sometimes frustrating experience. Rewarding though, overall. That said, I may not be correct on every detail I have listed here, I only wanted to try and contribute what I can as I have spent a ton of time scouring the Amahi wiki and forums and am super grateful for these resources of collective knowledge and the people who contributed. Maybe someone else that comes after can glean some tidbits from my experience.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:18 am

I verified that the the user "apache" does exist on the system (not sure how it was created) and that it is part of the users group.
That is system generated as it's the user for the web server.

Much of the wiki guidance is contributed by the Amahi community. Tutorials such as these are often out of date and are not officially supported by Amahi.

We try to help where we can, but due to the size of our team (3 folks) there's a lot of territory to cover.

If you'd like to help out and make any updates to the wiki, recommend you request an account. We welcome any assistance with updating outdated articles.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

madhatta

Postby madhatta » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 pm

I verified that the the user "apache" does exist on the system (not sure how it was created) and that it is part of the users group.
That is system generated as it's the user for the web server.

Much of the wiki guidance is contributed by the Amahi community. Tutorials such as these are often out of date and are not officially supported by Amahi.

We try to help where we can, but due to the size of our team (3 folks) there's a lot of territory to cover.

If you'd like to help out and make any updates to the wiki, recommend you request an account. We welcome any assistance with updating outdated articles.
Understood on the team size and also I wanted to say thanks for seemingly, single-handedly helping out with forum user's issues. I will look into requesting an account to contribute.

After dealing with this for several other applications, the easiest fix seems to be to add all the respective accounts created by different webapps to the users group (eg usermod -a -G users <account>). If I was to edit that wiki page I would probably replace the whole "Revise mount_shares_locally" with that simple instruction: search for new webapps user account with "groups <account_name>" then add it to the users group in addition to its most likely default group which is the same name as the account.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 am

Understood on the team size and also I wanted to say thanks for seemingly, single-handedly helping out with forum user's issues.
No problem. Try to help where and when I can.
After dealing with this for several other applications, the easiest fix seems to be to add all the respective accounts created by different webapps to the users group (eg usermod -a -G users <account>).
There shouldn't be many users added by the web apps. Most users are internal to the app and not actual linux users.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

madhatta

Postby madhatta » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 pm

There shouldn't be many users added by the web apps. Most users are internal to the app and not actual linux users.
I had to add app created users to the users group for emby, plex (when I tested it), sonarr, radarr, bazaar, sabnzbd and a few others. Basically anything that has to deal with the files through the locally mounted share and creates its own user and group when installed through an rpm or the amahi dashboard (ie radarr:radarr).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:05 am

Interesting.

Most apps run under use apache. Not sure why you would need the others.

Would be greatly appreciated if you could add some guidance to the wiki page.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager