SOLVED: Storage pool adding files to root partition instead of external hard drive

jlundwal

SOLVED: Storage pool adding files to root partition instead of external hard drive

Postby jlundwal » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:39 pm

I recently started a new Amahi install that I tried partitioning for Greyhole. The basic setup if that I partitioned the main partition according to the partition instructions but I made root 50 GiB and I made /home 850 GiB (the rest of the main drive). I planned on using /home for greyhole storage. I then added another drive and amahi mounted it at /var/hda/files/drives/wd_blue_4tb.

I started adding files to my storage pool. Greyhole was defaulting to moving files to /home initially. Everything was going great until /home got close to full and greyhole started moving files to /var/hda/files/drives/wd_blue_4tb. It started adding files there but they acted as if they were on the root partition instead of on the separate drive, which quickly filled up.

Here is an fpaste of all the Greyhole troubleshooting questions: https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/i ... 7ED0fn2zTQ

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Storage pool adding files to root partition instead of external hard drive

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Following the install instructions should not have created a /home partition.

I recommend you start over and ensure there is no /home partition created.

Leaving as is will only cause further issues and result in a broken system.

BTW, you might want to review LZ page in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bt107

Postby bt107 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:47 am

I recently did a clean install using the Amahi-11-x86_64.iso image. The default install did create a /home partition. I had to reinstall and modify the default partitioning scheme to allocate space to /. I created bug #2416 in the bug tracker.

jlundwal

Postby jlundwal » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:39 am

@bigfoot65
I understand that the default set up doesn't create the /home partition. I manually created it because I wasn't sure where to allocate the extra space that I don't want to be used in the root partition; the space that greyhole would use. I thought it was arbitrary so I just put it there because Amahi doesn't use that part of the linux file directory. Where would you recommend putting that partition in the linux file directory?

I can go ahead and make a LZ partition that is separate from the root directory. Should I just leave it at /var/hda/files/shares/ ? That way all of the shares are in the LZ partition without having to move the LZ?

Also, I rather doubt that this will fix the problem. The problem was not happening when greyhole was moving the files to the /home partition but rather when it was trying to move them to /var/hda/files/drives/wb_blue_4tb. This makes me think that the drive wasn't mounted correctly and so that position in the linux file directory wasn't correctly placed on the external drive. I'm not an expert, but you would think that if it was a /home problem that it would have struggled from the beginning. For reference, I mounted the drive using the disk-wizard App (where I also formatted it).

@bt107
Did you click on the "Installation Destination" button? I had the same problem but noticed that it only happened when I click on the button. The installer would overwrite the defaults and recalculate auto-partitioning. I first saw that here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7200&p=41586&hilit=partition#p41586

bt107

Postby bt107 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm

I don't think so but honestly now I can't remember. I think I was assuming that the customized iso would not create a home partition and was surprised when it did. It would be interesting to see if someone could recreate this scenario.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Also, I rather doubt that this will fix the problem. The problem was not happening when greyhole was moving the files to the /home partition but rather when it was trying to move them to /var/hda/files/drives/wb_blue_4tb. This makes me think that the drive wasn't mounted correctly and so that position in the linux file directory wasn't correctly placed on the external drive. I'm not an expert, but you would think that if it was a /home problem that it would have struggled from the beginning. For reference, I mounted the drive using the disk-wizard App (where I also formatted it).
I think you are probably right. The disk-wizard App is not working properly and likely did not mount the drive appropriately.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jlundwal

Postby jlundwal » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 am

I've confirmed it. As you can see from my fpaste:

[admin@localhost ~]$ mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=3538072k,nr_inodes=884518,mode=755)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda4 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=36,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=475)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda2 on /boot type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda5 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=winnt,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda4 on /var/lib/docker/containers type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda4 on /var/lib/docker/overlay2 type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
none on /var/spool/greyhole/mem type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=4096k)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=710000k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=100)

There is no /var/hda/files/drives/wb_blue_4tb mounted. Which is rather odd as Greyhole seemed to think that it existed as it was an option in the UI. I assume disk-wizard must have communicated that information to Greyhole even though it wasn't mounted. Or perhaps, the auto-mounting didn't work properly. I did restart my server at some point in my debugging and that may have made Greyhole not find the device and so /var/hda/files/drives/wb_blue_4tb became part of the root partition. The latter seems the most likely. I'll look into filing this as a bug for disk wizard as in either case, the drive is not mounted when it should be.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 am

Yes looks like the root cause of your issue.

I personally don't use the disk-wizard App. Manual method works best for me.

Can we consider this resolved?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

jlundwal

Postby jlundwal » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:02 am

Yes. I was able to further confirm that the disk-wizard never mounted the drive with a clean install. I'm adding what I found to the already existing bug 2370.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:04 am

Sounds good.

Thanks!

Marking as resolved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager