CLOSED: Getting Greyhole Service to start after adding new drives

ksburgess

CLOSED: Getting Greyhole Service to start after adding new drives

Postby ksburgess » Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 am

So I'm still dealing with this issue with my HDA and Greyhole. I tried a low-level disk rescue as recommended on the Greyhole wiki, but that failed, so I decided that I'll just restore missing files from offsite backup. I added in two new pool drives via the Disk Wizard, then added those to the drive pool using the Greyhole UI. I specified share file copies.

Now Greyhole is showing as not running and I'm not sure what to do next to troubleshoot and get it going. Please advise :(

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Getting Greyhole Service to start after adding new drives

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:34 am

Recommend you check /var/log/greyhole.log for errors.

Also ensure the drives are properly reflected in the greyhole.conf file.

At command line:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl status amahi-greyhole
Look for errors in the output.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Fri May 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Okay I'm getting a PHP error, and I also can't log into phpmyadmin as root, which I don't understand since I logged in just a few days ago. Here's the last 10 lines on the greyhole log:

[ksburgess@localhost ~]$ tail -n 10 /var/log/greyhole.log May 18 16:48:43 CRITICAL initialize: Can't connect to database: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1049] Unknown database 'greyhole' May 18 16:48:43 ERROR initialize: PHP Fatal Error: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xsl.so' - libexslt.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory; BT: Unknown[L0] May 18 16:48:44 CRITICAL initialize: Can't connect to database: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1049] Unknown database 'greyhole' May 18 16:48:44 ERROR initialize: PHP Fatal Error: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xsl.so' - libexslt.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory; BT: Unknown[L0] May 18 16:48:44 CRITICAL initialize: Can't connect to database: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1049] Unknown database 'greyhole' May 18 16:48:44 ERROR initialize: PHP Fatal Error: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xsl.so' - libexslt.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory; BT: Unknown[L0] May 18 16:48:44 CRITICAL initialize: Can't connect to database: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1049] Unknown database 'greyhole' May 18 16:48:44 ERROR initialize: PHP Fatal Error: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xsl.so' - libexslt.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory; BT: Unknown[L0] May 18 16:48:45 CRITICAL initialize: Can't connect to database: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1049] Unknown database 'greyhole' May 18 16:48:45 ERROR initialize: PHP Fatal Error: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xsl.so' - libexslt.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory; BT: Unknown[L0]
And here's the output from systemctl:

● amahi-greyhole.service - Greyhole for Amahi Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/amahi-greyhole.service; enabled) Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Fri 2018-05-18 16:34:01 EDT; 4s ago Process: 28796 ExecStopPost=/bin/rm -f /run/amahi-greyhole.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Process: 28793 ExecStop=/usr/bin/kill $MAINPID (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) Process: 28786 ExecStart=/usr/bin/amahi-greyhole (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) Main PID: 28787 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) May 18 16:34:01 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: start request repeated too quickly for amahi-greyhole.service May 18 16:34:01 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start Greyhole for Amahi. May 18 16:34:01 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit amahi-greyhole.service entered failed state. May 18 16:34:01 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: amahi-greyhole.service failed.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info.

Did you do any modifications to the database when logged in with phpmyadmin App?

Also are OS updates installed?

sudo dnf update
What version of Fedora and Amahi are you using!
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Fri May 18, 2018 7:09 pm

I didn't make any modifications; I was just checking to see if Greyhole had a table listing what files were on what drive.

I'm using Fedora 21 and Amahi 8 (my next big project is to update the HDA itself... my life is just kind of in shambles right now not leaving a lot of time :/)

OS appears to be up to date when I issue a yum update command.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Might try reinstalling Greyhole:

sudo yum reinstall amahi-greyhole
That would create the Greyhole database. Then use the greyhole-ui App to configure drives and shares.

The data currently on the drives should repopulate into the database.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Sat May 19, 2018 5:36 am

Uuugh I do not know what's going on... I'm wondering if my entire hda is just hosed. To put things not delicately, my server was seized by law enforcement (we are the victims) and returned to me with a hosed drive and who knows what else was done to it by the forensics team. It's not wanting to let me log into phpmyadmin as root anymore. Reinstalling Greyhole doesn't seem to be fixing anything.

I set the root password in config.inc.php and then phpmyadmin let me into root, but I don't think it's really root because I only see Information_Schema and Test in the database listing...

I'm just not sure if I can even rescue everything or maybe it's more worth it just to try and rebuild the stupid server from the ground up. My life is just kind of rough right now.

I cannot fathom why phpmyadmin would start acting up when I'm trying to fix something related to greyhole!!!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:23 am

Well it does appear it's hard broke. There are databases missing which cannot be replaced.

I am sorry to say, you must start over with a reinstall from scratch. Data will be preserved on the Greyhole drives, but recommend you disconnect them until Amahi is up and running.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Sun May 20, 2018 2:37 am

Okay I went through the painful process of reinstalling the OS from the ground up... at least I'm running Amahi 10 now.

I'm not sure if everything is as it should be, though. I set up the HDA completely, then once I verified that it was running okay, I plugged in the pool drives and set those up using the Greyhole UI.

This morning I came to check on things (mostly to see if the files that were on the one drive that made it through this situation intact were showing up in my shares) and this morning my var/hda/drives directory is showing that it's empty. On my dashboard everything seems configured correctly. Aren't I supposed to be able to see all three pool drives listed in this directory, and be able to navigate into the /gh folder of each one from this location?

I'm pretty sure they all showed up last night. Why would that directory be showing as empty right now?

ksburgess

Postby ksburgess » Sun May 20, 2018 4:33 am

Okay think I figured it out... I need to be in /var/hda/files/drives. I see the drives and the /gh folder there. I added the Greyhole Log app, too, and I think it's just taking Greyhole a long time to work through everything. So I'll be patient and hopefully it can sort everything on the good drive and then I can start restoring from backup the files lost to the failure of the other drive... and hopefully at some point I'll have my HDA back up and fully running...