CLOSED: What is least painful way to replace landing zone drive?

jkbuckethead

CLOSED: What is least painful way to replace landing zone drive?

Postby jkbuckethead » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:01 pm

I recently upgraded a couple of drives with larger drives. This process went smooth enough, but while it was going on I had a monitor attached to my HDA. The monitor is displaying quite a few errors associated with my landing zone drive. So far overall operation doesn't seem to be affected, but there could be corrupted files I haven't yet discovered. These errors do not appear in the greyhole log or when I'm connected using Putty. I only see them when I've connected a monitor directly. I don't know if errors like this are normal or what.

Anyway, this got me thinking about replacing the landing zone drive before it dies unexpectedly. I have a dedicated landing zone drive so I don't have any OS or other files to worry about. The landing drive contains only my share directories plus a /gh directory with one file named greyhole_uses_this. Is it simple as adding the replacement disc, moving/copying the land zone, changing the share paths, and then removing the old LZ drive?

They way I see it, the greyhole --going command is only necessary when removing drives from the pool. Since the LZ drive is not part of the pool, is there anything special that I need to do before removing the old LZ drive?

aarondyck

Re: What is least painful way to replace landing zone drive?

Postby aarondyck » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:42 am

For me, the easiest method would be to unmount the drive and use DD to create an exact copy, then modify the partition table on that newly copied drive to use all the available space, followed by mounting the new drive to the path of the old drive.

I'm not sure that's the official recommendation, but I certainly think that would be easiest. You would want to stop Greyhole first, of course, and restart it when you're done.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: What is least painful way to replace landing zone drive?

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:37 pm

This thread is over 2 years old.

Marking as closed to prevent future responses.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2