Setting up Greyhole Trash share

jkbuckethead

Setting up Greyhole Trash share

Postby jkbuckethead » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:30 pm

I've been doing a lot of file cleanup lately, which means lots of deleted files. So far I've been emptying the trash manually as per the wiki https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole_Tips, but I'd like to simplify the process.

Below the Emptying Trash instructions there is a reference to creating a Trash Share, with a link to the Greyhole github (https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/wiki/AboutTrash). The instructions on github are not overly detailed, for example they say to add directives to smb.conf without actually showing how to do it. I can edit smb.conf, but I'm not certain how one adds a directive. Before I start trying to figure that part out, I have a couple of more immediate questions.

First, the smb.conf file starts out with a warning that manual changes MAY BE OVERWRITTEN. Does this mean that if I figure out how add these directives the changes will disappear the next time amahi updates the config file, or will they be permanent?

Second, the trash share instructions say to add the directives to the share section of smb.conf. My smb.conf (etc/samba/smb.conf) does not currently have a share section. Is this something I'll add, or am I looking at the wrong file?

Any help, especially from someone who has done this, will be appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Setting up Greyhole Trash share

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:10 am

The instructions on github are not overly detailed, for example they say to add directives to smb.conf without actually showing how to do it.
They are generic to all distributions. There is no #Amahi specific guidance on that site. We probably should add some to our wiki. If you would like to assist with doing that, we would greatly appreciate it.

If you are using the greyhole-ui App, once the share is created you can select it to be added to the storage pool. That will add the lines to smb.conf.

If you did the manual Greyhole install, then you will need to add the two lines using the Extra Parameters option in the Shares tab once the Trash share is created.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you. I have the Greyhole Recycle bin set up on mine, but typically remove files via command line. It works good, especially if you need to recover a file accidentally deleted, that is prior to emptying the trash :)
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2