SOLVED: Fully removing files from greyhole

ratrat4563

SOLVED: Fully removing files from greyhole

Postby ratrat4563 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:05 pm

I’m having a problem with removing files from greyhole.

I started with a clean load of Fedora 25 and Amahi 10 to ensure that the problem I was seeing was repeatable and not a onetime anomaly. After the load I installed the Disk Wizard, Disk Stats, and Shell in A Box apps. Next added three additional drives to system using Disk Wizard app.

Prior to adding the Greyhole UI and Greyhole LogMon apps I added eight movies to the Movies share using Windows File Explorer and observed on the Amahi dashboard disk partition page that the root drive had increased by approximately 45 Gb and the used space on the remaining three drives was less than 90 Mb on each of them. Next deleted the movies using File Explorer and observed that the used space on the three drives had not changed and the used space in the root drive had been reduced by approximately 45 Gb, this indicated that I could add and remove files using File Explorer with no difference in operation from my Windows PC.

Next added Greyhole UI and Greyhole LogMon apps, set storage pool to my three added drives (drive with / not included in storage pool) and set Movies to contain 2 extra copies. I then added the same eight movies as before, clicked on FCSK on Drive pooling, Status page. A check of the greyhole LogMon indicated following for each movie:

Sep 25 14:05:13 INFO fsck: Missing file copies. Expected 3, got 1. Will create more copies using /var/hda/files/drives/BC3/gh/Movies/Star Wars Rogue One.mkv

After a period of time another check of greyhole LogMon indicated:

Sep 25 14:18:14 INFO fsck: fsck for /var/hda/files/movies completed.

A check of partitions on Disk, Partition page indicated that the / had not changed but that each of the other drive showed approximately 45 Gb used. This indicated to me that greyhole was working properly at this point for adding files.
Next deleted four movies as before when greyhole LogMon was checked following was indicated for each of the four movies:

Sep 25 21:48:19 INFO unlink: Now working on task ID 32: unlink Movies/Star Wars Episode 4 - A New Hope.mkv

Sep 25 21:48:19 INFO unlink: File deleted: /var/hda/files/movies/Star Wars Episode 4 - A New Hope.mkv

When a check of the Disk, Partition page was made all three disks still showed approximately 45 Gb of used space although File Explorer showed that the four movies had been removed. Inspection of /var/hda/files/drives/{drive}/gh/Movies on each disk showed the movies no longer listed. This is the first indication that greyhole may not be operating as I thought it was supposed to.

I next set the extra copies of the Movies share to – so that hopefully I would have only one copy of the remaining four movies on my HDA. A resulting check of the greyhole LogMon indicated the following:

Sep 26 13:17:10 INFO fsck: Too many file copies. Expected 1, got 3. Will try to remove some.

Sep 26 13:17:10 INFO fsck: fsck for /var/hda/files/movies completed.

A quick check of the used space on each disk showed no change from before. Still approximately 45 Gb on each of the three disks with no change to /. On the Drive Pooling partition page I next removed all drives from the storage pool and received the expected greyhole LogMon indication for each drive:

Sep 26 19:01:50 WARN initialize: The storage pool drive '/var/hda/files/drives/BC3/gh' is not part of any drive_selection_algorithm definition, and will thus never be used to receive any files.

A check of the Drive, Partition page showed no change in used space. Reenabled the three drives to be in the storage pool.

A check of /var/hda/files/movies show the four movies. A check of /var/hda/files/drives/{drive}/gh/Movies shows no movies in these locations as I would expect.

The problem as I see it is that the Disks, partition page indicates approximately 45 Gb used on each of the three disks when the expected size with half of the movies deleted and the extra copies set to one should be a total of approximately 22 Gb total between the three drives.

I went into Shell in A Box and from the root entered the command greyhole –stats
The returned data was

Greyhole Statistics
===================

Storage Pool
Total - Used = Free + Trash = Possible
/var/hda/files/drives/BC3/gh: 3667G - 45G = 3435G + 24G = 3460G
/var/hda/files/drives/BC2/gh: 1833G - 45G = 1695G + 45G = 1740G
/var/hda/files/drives/BC4/gh: 916G - 45G = 825G + 45G = 869G
==========================================
Total: 6415G - 134G = 5955G + 114G = 6069G

At this point I would expect the used space on BC2 and BC3 to be less than 100 Mb and the used space on BC3 to be the approximately 22 Gb reflecting the remaining four movies in the pool. It appears that somehow greyhole is counting the data in Trash towards the used space on the drives.

Is this normal?

Is there an easy method to remove the Trash data (I suspect it to be similar to MicroSofts Recycle Bin)?

I would like to get this resolved prior to bring more data on to the Amahi/Fedora/greyhole environment and reaching a point where the system thinks my disks are full of actual data when a large part of the used space appears to be Trash from greyhole which is not freeing up disk space when files are removed.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Fully removing files from greyhole

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 am

Is this normal?
Yes.

To remove the trash, refer to emptying trash in the wiki.

You can also see all the Greyhole command options by executing the command line:

Code: Select all

greyhole
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ratrat4563

Postby ratrat4563 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks for pointing in the right direction. I have been looking at this over a period of days and saw the reference you site for trash but that was a couple of days ago and when I figured out what was probably causing my problem had forgotten that area,

Just proves RTFM or in this case RTFW.

Please mark this as closed.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:41 am

No problem. Happy to assist.

Marking as solved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2