Transfer from USB hard drive

jkbuckethead

Transfer from USB hard drive

Postby jkbuckethead » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:26 pm

I have a large block of files to move from an external hard drive to my HDA. One way is to connect the drive to my windows PC and transfer the files over the LAN. However, I an wondering if there isn't a better way.

I'd like to connect the drive directly to the HDA and transfer the files. I presume that to connect the drive, I simply need to mount it using the disk wizard without formatting it or adding it to my greyhole storage pool. Once connected, I'm not sure where to transfer the files to.

I have read the warning about accessing share files directly, but the warning is a touch vague. I'm almost certain this means not touching files located in the GH directory of the storage pool drives. However, is it safe to copy the files to the landing zone for the shares?

I ask because it would be easier to use the eXtplorer app than the command line. I have mounted my shares locally, but the eXtplorer app does not seem to see the shares (unless I'm doing something wrong). It does however see the landing zone directories. Is it safe to copy the files directly to the landing zones?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Transfer from USB hard drive

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:46 pm

I have read the warning about accessing share files directly, but the warning is a touch vague. I'm almost certain this means not touching files located in the GH directory of the storage pool drives.
This means to not mess with files in the /gh folders. It also means to not move files around without going through Samba unless you have the mount_shares_locally service running.
However, is it safe to copy the files to the landing zone for the shares?
The LZ and the shares are one in the same (typically /var/hda/files). When you copy any file to a share, it will be handled by Greyhole accordingly if that share is Greyhole enabled. Recommend you read the Greyhole Landing Zone info in the wiki if you have not already. Greyhole is really just replicating files to other drives, but the shares are still the shares.

Using the extplorer App to copy files to the select share directories will work fine. It's important to note that it does not use Samba, so having mount_shares_locally service is required.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2