How to upgrade Greyhole to the latest version before it's available from Amahi repository

taa

How to upgrade Greyhole to the latest version before it's available from Amahi repository

Postby taa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:11 pm

A new version of Greyhole is available that permits launching scripts on specific Greyhole events: Hooks external scripts when greyhole processing events

I realize it may be a long time before Amahi Development would have time to test it. I would like to install it on my Amahi 9 Virtualbox VM for testing. What are the proper steps to do this?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: How to upgrade Greyhole to the latest version before it's available from Amahi repository

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Recommend you submit a bug report. We may be able to have a test version ready shortly, providing this is an official release. We do not support test releases and from what I can tell this is not official yet.

If you intend to install the latest version manually, you will need to uninstall amahi-Greyhole. Steps for a manual install should be available on the Greyhole web site.

Please understand if you choose this path, we cannot provide any support. You assume all risks.

BTW a manual install may not be compatible with the greyhole-ui App.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

taa

Re: How to upgrade Greyhole to the latest version before it's available from Amahi repository

Postby taa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:25 am

We do not support test releases and from what I can tell this is not official yet.
I can understand a test release not being supported until it's official, but I don't see how it can become official until it's tested. I have the time -- and more importantly -- the motivation to test it because I'm one of the users who asked the Greyhole Team to make the changes. Uninstalling the Greyhole UI App makes no sense to me when the goal is to integrate the new Greyhole features into Amahi's Greyhole version. If I come across some sort of incompatibility, to me that is when submitting a bug report is appropriate. Nothing is broken yet! :D I'm not expecting UI elements to be added to handle the new features. In the past when new Greyhole releases have become available, what is the process someone in the Amahi community goes through to incorporate it into the latest Amahi code? That's the kind of info I think I need to get started and hopefully I can take it from there. If you mean submitting a bug report is the way I would get that info, then that is important for me to know. I have the impression the Amahi Team is overwhelmed as it is, which is why I hope you can accept that I'm trying to help.

The Greyhole UI App is fantastic because it handles multiple behind-the-scenes steps smoothly. That's real value to me and is what justified my purchasing it.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:33 am

You may have misunderstood my intent.
I can understand a test release not being supported until it's official, but I don't see how it can become official until it's tested.
#Amahi does not typically update Greyhole until it's an official release by the Greyhole author. Currently it's like a release candidate in my opinion and possibly have bugs. We will obviously need to test it with #Amahi once it's been released by him, but don't have the bandwidth to work pre-releases.
I have the time -- and more importantly -- the motivation to test it because I'm one of the users who asked the Greyhole Team to make the changes.
That's great you are willing to assist. We welcome your assistance when we are ready to test it with #Amahi.
Uninstalling the Greyhole UI App makes no sense to me when the goal is to integrate the new Greyhole features into Amahi's Greyhole version.
I meant if you were doing a manual install. If there were bugs with greyhole-ui App, we would address that when testing the new Greyhole update.
In the past when new Greyhole releases have become available, what is the process someone in the Amahi community goes through to incorporate it into the latest Amahi code?
Typically we take care of testing Greyhole updates internally. The community rarely assists. We have a checklist in we use which can be found in the #Amahi Wiki
If you mean submitting a bug report is the way I would get that info, then that is important for me to know.
No I mean to submit a bug report requesting that Greyhole be upgraded.
I have the impression the Amahi Team is overwhelmed as it is, which is why I hope you can accept that I'm trying to help.
The #Amahi team consists of 3 folks. With the exception of the developer, we are volunteers and do this in our spare time.

Please understand that we have a task list that is prioritized by the developer. We are currently working on #Amahi 10 for Fedora 25, so that takes up most of our time. Greyhole is treated like any other app that needs updated, it's prioritized with all other tasks.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Greyhole 0.10.0 has been released.

See bug 2169 to track progress on it being made available for #Amahi.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager