Rebuilding Greyhole Storage Pool after replacing boot drive & reinstalling Amahi

wkromer

Rebuilding Greyhole Storage Pool after replacing boot drive & reinstalling Amahi

Postby wkromer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:45 am

I recently ran into an issue with my previous Amahi install. I decided to upgrade to an SSD instead of a USB 3 thumb drive and reinstalled fedora 23 and Amahi 8.

I had 3 4Tb drives configured in a storage pool through greyhole.

Looking through the various guides on the wiki, it seems most of the guidance is around upgrading Amahi and rebuilding your greyhole pool or around installing fresh drives and mounting them.

Currently the drives are not mounted. Is there any danger of mounting the drives and the data being erased?

What is the recommended way of reconnecting the drives in a storage pool and having all the files and shares recognized?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Rebuilding Greyhole Storage Pool after replacing boot drive & reinstalling Amahi

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Currently the drives are not mounted. Is there any danger of mounting the drives and the data being erased?
You should be able to mount them without affecting the data. Should follow the same path you did when initially adding the drives. Ensure the drive mount points are the same as before if possible.
What is the recommended way of reconnecting the drives in a storage pool and having all the files and shares recognized?
See reconnect existing Greyhole storage pool guidance in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wkromer

Re: Rebuilding Greyhole Storage Pool after replacing boot drive & reinstalling Amahi

Postby wkromer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 am

Should follow the same path you did when initially adding the drives. Ensure the drive mount points are the same as before if possible.
The old server wouldn't boot, so I am not sure what the paths were previously. Is it safe to assume the default paths will work? Or do I run a risk of erasing the data?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:57 am

The shares have to be named the same as before.

You might boot a Live CD and examine the drives.

That's the best way to minimize loss of data.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wkromer

Postby wkromer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks for your help bigfoot.

I've gotten to the point where are the drives are mounted, but they are greyed out when I try to add them to the storage pool.

The instructions in https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding ... o_your_HDA seem to detail adding another harddrive to the pool and https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Reconn ... orage_pool doesn't help in ungreying the drives.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:37 pm

I've gotten to the point where are the drives are mounted, but they are greyed out when I try to add them to the storage pool.
Are they mounted via /etc/fstab file? Can you see the /gh directory on each drive via command line? Are they owned by your 1stadminuser:users?

You might try adding them to /etc/greyhole.conf manually, then restarting Greyhole. Also there is a Greyhole command that might help as well:

Code: Select all

sudo greyhole --replace=/drivepath
Replace drive path with the mount point for each drive.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

wkromer

Postby wkromer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks bigfoot. It seems like greyhole is not being installed properly. It is not shown as running in the dashboard and there is no .conf file that has been created.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 am

It seems like greyhole is not being installed properly. It is not shown as running in the dashboard and there is no .conf file that has been created.
Try the following to see if it's installed:

Code: Select all

sudo dnf install amahi-greyhole
That may be the issue is it did not get installed properly.
You can also check /var/log/amahi-app-installer.log for errors.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

wkromer

Postby wkromer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Error: nothing provides php-mysql needed by amahi-greyhole-0.9.67-1.x86_64

I get that error above, but when I run dnf update/upgrade, the package bellow is already installed.

php-mysqlnd.x86_64 7.0.15-1.fc25

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:50 pm

You are using Fedora 25 right?

We are still developing Amahi for that OS version. It is not currently supported.

Please install Fedora 23, Amahi 9.

See http://docs.amahi.org for install guidance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager