CLOSED: Can't access/see files on one share after reinstall

road

CLOSED: Can't access/see files on one share after reinstall

Postby road » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 pm

I'm unable to see/access files on one particular share "back-up" after reinstalling Fedora/Amahi.

All other shares in the pool work as you'd expect.

I am a noob and while I've been able to complete some of the suggested Greyhole trouble shooting tasks, I don't know how to complete tasks 4 and 5.

Greyhole trouble shooting:

4.6.6-200.fc23.x86_64
samba-4.3.11-1.fc23.x86_64
amahi-greyhole-0.9.67-1.x86_64

samba: http://paste.fedoraproject.org/414890/22542291/
greyhole: http://paste.fedoraproject.org/414891/14722542/

3. see attachment:
greyhole_TS.txt
(10.74 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
4. I don't understand what this means: "select * from disk_pool_partitions"

5. I don't understand what this means: "select concat(path, '/gh') from disk_pool_partitions"

6. see attachment:
greyhole_TS.txt
(10.74 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Any suggestions most welcome.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Can't access/see files on one share after reinstall

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:15 pm

What happens when you try to access the share? Any errors?

Check file ownership permissions for the share. Should be owned by your firstadminuser.

Code: Select all

ls -al /var/hda/files/back-up
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

road

Postby road » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:06 pm

ls: cannot access /var/hda/files/back-up: No such file or directory

I've run fschk, rebooted, tried to change permissions as per other forum suggestions.

The output of the line below:
ls -l /var/hda/files/drives/drive7/back-up
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bsilva users 37 Aug 16 01:22 /var/hda/files/drives/drive7/back-up -> /var/hda/files/drives/drive26/back-up

I did try and move the LZ when the root drive reached 100% and before the install my drive numbers ran from 22 to 28.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:17 pm

Does the path of that share match what the Dashboard Shares Tab reflects for Back-up?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

road

Postby road » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Dashboard is: /var/hda/files/drives/drive6/back-up

When I change that in dashboard to /var/hda/files/drives/drive7/back-up, I get this error: du: cannot access '/var/hda/files/drives/drive7/back-up'

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:15 pm

lrwxrwxrwx 1 bsilva users 37 Aug 16 01:22 /var/hda/files/drives/drive7/back-up -> /var/hda/files/drives/drive26/back-up
Why is there a symbolic link for the share path?

Also when you change the path in the Dashboard, Samba has to restart. To ensure it does, you can manually force it in the Dashboard Servers section of the Settings tab.

One other question, is there a reason you have the shares on different drives? With Greyhole, there is no reason to move them to different drives. They should all fit on one, typically the OS drive.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

road

Postby road » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 pm

I'm a noob with more enthusiasm than know how. When my root hit 100% I tried to move the LZ as per these suggestion: https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/w ... andingZone

That didn't seem to wok so I kept trying to fix the root full problem.

Also when you change the path in the Dashboard, Samba has to restart. To ensure it does, you can manually force it in the Dashboard Servers section of the Settings tab.
I just tried as you suggested same error : du: cannot access '/var/hda/files/drives/drive7/back-up' :(
One other question, is there a reason you have the shares on different drives? With Greyhole, there is no reason to move them to different drives. They should all fit on one, typically the OS drive
I think I now have then all on the one drive. Initially I had them on separate drives because I have some folders with TBs of data and other with a few megs. From my understanding of what I read you could have shares on different drives and I thought that might work better as some shares would get used a lot i.e "back-up" while others "docs" or "videos" might not.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:41 pm

From my understanding of what I read you could have shares on different drives and I thought that might work better as some shares would get used a lot i.e "back-up" while others "docs" or "videos" might not.
That is true, however there are consequences. With them spread out you have a greater chance of data lost should a drive die.

Keeping them all on one, then setting Greyhole to Max Copies will put a copy on all Greyhole drives in the pool. Understand that when using Greyhole, in your original share files become a symbolic link, therefore not taking up any space on the root (OS) drive. Obviously you can't copy Terabytes of data all at once, you have to give Greyhole time to copy files and create the symbolic links before adding more. That if based on how much space you have in the LZ.
That link may be your issue. Not sure, but might be work creating a new share and moving the files to it. Then remove the old one.
I'm a noob with more enthusiasm than know how.
Doing all these things that are considered for advanced users can lead to more issues for those with little or know Linux experience. We recommend you keep it simple and start off slowly with changes. Make them, verify it's working correctly, then move on to the next thing.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

road

Postby road » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Much appreciated.

I'll try and keep it simple as I have never used linux before.
That link may be your issue. Not sure, but might be work creating a new share and moving the files to it. Then remove the old one.
I tried to do that when the LZ hit 100% but move didn't work. That's why I created a folder outside of greyhole (I think it's back in now) called "tempbu". None of the suggested move and or copy options seemed to work though and a few ties while trying to sort out the full root problem the server crashed.

I'm prepared to do more reading and try to sort this problem out as my back-up folder is the most important folder on the server and I really need to get those files back. I'd be willing to remove the drive, copy it to another drive and then rebuild the share again or do whatever is needed.

If you can point me in the right direction that would be great.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:00 am

Did you resolve that symbolic link?

Recommend you move the files to a safe location then remove the affected share and drive.

When doing these steps ensure you do it as root user.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager