SOLVED: Greyhole Write Issues - WARN write: No metadata files could be created.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Greyhole Write Issues - WARN write: No metadata files could be created.

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:01 pm

MariaDB credentials by default for Amahi should be:
user: root
PW: hda

If that does not work, then it must have gotten changed. Did you make any changes to the database?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

johnny5shared

Postby johnny5shared » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Ah OK, no I didn't change anything there.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Any progress on this issue?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

johnny5shared

Postby johnny5shared » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:52 pm

I've been away from home so had limited testing time.

One thing though, is that I verified the files are being picked up after being sent to the network share and the right number of copies are being placed on separate drives according to my GH config.
I had problems with it, so did all my manually.
Other than the missing table 'hda_production.disk_pool_partitions' I'm hoping it's working correctly. I already have data in the pool so am reluctant to re-add the drives.
If I remember correctly, that table is only created when using the greyhole-ui App. I don't believe the SQL I provided will be in the Greyhole database as you set up Greyhole manually.
It sounds like that table isn't even required for GH, only the GUI app. Does it even matter then?
The arguments in your /etc/fstab differ slightly from what the manual install guidance shows. Try unmounting the drives and changing auto auto,rw,exec 0 0 to defaults 1 2. Then remount them and restart Greyhole. See if that makes a difference.
I am yet to try this, what will this change achieve? Do you mean change the last two 0's to 1 2?

Cheers for your help!

johnny5shared

Postby johnny5shared » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Oh and also, I don't remember configuring a landing zone. How does that work. I know dropping a file to the network share kicks off the GH cue and I can see the file being copied out. But where does it land in the first instance?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Other than the missing table 'hda_production.disk_pool_partitions' I'm hoping it's working correctly. I already have data in the pool so am reluctant to re-add the drives.
This table is not part of the Greyhole install unless you use the greyhole-ui App. Since you didn't it won't exist.
Try unmounting the drives and changing auto auto,rw,exec 0 0 to defaults 1 2
I meant to change the exact text I mentioned in the post, not just the numbers. However if it's working fine, might as well leave it along.
Oh and also, I don't remember configuring a landing zone. How does that work.
The LZ is your root drive by default, so if it's small there could be issues with large transfers. See the Greyhole Landing Zone in the wiki for info.

BTW, if you have not noticed there is a lot of help and tutorials in the Amahi Wiki. I refer folks there for most issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

johnny5shared

Postby johnny5shared » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 pm

I appreciate your help, and went through all the tutorials and troubleshooting before coming here (including having to clean install 3 times). In fact, after adding the /gh dirs everything seemed to work. It's just that I stand to lose a lot of data if this isn't implemented properly, and some of the wiki help seems to be a little vague. I'm happy to propose a few tweaks based on my experiences.

Also, I'm new to Linux so it's been a steep learning curve but I'm glad I stuck with it, which was kind of the reason I wanted to do it manually. What's to learn when it's automated? :D

That's good news about the landing zone, since I have 50gb free there. It should suit my needs since GH to me will be simply a place for files I don't access all that often like family photos and installers etc.

I plan to have an offsite backup of the HDA also. Feel free to close this, since the DB issue is a non issue.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:19 pm

some of the wiki help seems to be a little vague. I'm happy to propose a few tweaks based on my experiences.
We would appreciate any updates to the wiki. Request an account and have at it.

Closing thread as requested.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager