Landing Zone (Easy Question)

TheParkerFamily

Landing Zone (Easy Question)

Postby TheParkerFamily » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:09 am

I did my HDA install initially on a HW mirrored pair of 500GB SSD's. Before installing greyhole etc, I followed the guidance in 'installing 2nd hard drive' and Installed a Samsung 2TB drive, then moved all the shares to it based on same article. Once that was all fully functional, I added two more 2TB drives, and followed directions for installing and configuring Greyhole. I carefully left the original SSD's out of the storage pool, added the new drives, and then the 'original' 2TB that had all the shares on it.

In reading through the documentation, I can see how the landing zone would have originally been the mirrored pair I used to install, but I think since I moved those to the 2TB Drive, it would have been configured directly for that device. (and would not now need to be moved to that device as the instructions state.)

I think I'm ok and don't need to follow the steps to move the LZ, but not sure what to check to know for sure.

I'm pretty sure I am just overthinking this - but also wondering if a dedicated SSD to act as LZ wouldn't speed up network copies tremendously. (Has anyone tried this? How much space does the LZ actually need?)
+++Error At Address: 14, Treacle Mine Road, Ankh-Morpork+++
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
+++Whoops! Here Comes The Cheese! +++

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Landing Zone (Easy Question)

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 am

Recommend you review the Greyhole Landing Zone guidance in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

TheParkerFamily

Postby TheParkerFamily » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 pm

My question is based on the material for Greyhole in the wiki, after first reading AND following 'adding a second drive to your HDA' article in the WIKI itself and specifically the 'moving all Shares' portion of that article since there did not seem to be a way to do so in the GUI.

In more direct terms, I am just asking to confirm my assumption that, once I moved the shares following that guidance, now '/var/hda/files/' is a symbolic link to the partition I added on that second hard drive & anything referencing that path will automatically land where it should (Including the greyhole LZ).
+++Error At Address: 14, Treacle Mine Road, Ankh-Morpork+++
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
+++Whoops! Here Comes The Cheese! +++

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:02 pm

now '/var/hda/files/' is a symbolic link to the partition I added on that second hard drive
Since /var/hda/files is the default LZ for initial Amahi setup, then it is safe to say the symbolic link will direct all files to that second drive partition.

You could verify by running a test with a file as well. Add it to the share and check via command line.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2