CLOSED: [Help] Greyhole Landing Zone filled? "Not enough space" error; now server hangs at boot...

lgreenman

CLOSED: [Help] Greyhole Landing Zone filled? "Not enough space" error; now server hangs at boot...

Postby lgreenman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Greetings,

First of all, happy new year everyone. I've been spending the week setting up my first Amahi/Greyhole server (hardware detail at bottom). Hopefully, this is the last hurdle...

After successfully cloning my boot/root drive (I moved from a "not-recommended" USB boot stick approach to a standard 120GB SSD drive, as detailed in this earlier thread), I began to copy my large 300GB music collection to the server (which has two 2TB storage drives, currently with 700GB of free space).

I started copying 25GB at a time (approx 5500 MP3 files). About 8GB into the first round of copying, I am stopped by this "There is not enough space on Folder (\\HDA)" error:

My root partition was about 60GB in size, so this seemed strange. I then tried to access Amahi via Web Browser (http://HDA) and I see this "Dashboard has encountered an exception" error:

As this error mentions low space in root, I next used gparted to expand the root partition (to about 100GB total). I rebooted, and discovered that my server hangs after I enter a password (I'm using LXDE; the server just hangs at the desktop background image; no icons).

What's going on here? I've been researching this today, and I suspect (1) my Landing Zone directory is located on the root partition; and (2) this root partition is now full. Not sure why expanding the root partition didn't solve this, nor why I'm unable to boot my server to the LXDE desktop (and/or get into the command line/terminal again).

So how do I solve this? Fedora rescue maybe (haven't tried that yet)? I could boot from my previous USB boot stick, and then make changes to the SSD drive, if need be. But what changes need to be made?

I'm new to Amahi (and Linux in general). I suspect the Landing Zone needs to be moved and then it needs to finish clearing itself. If so, how is this done? And is it safe to move it when I may have thousands of files stuck there, waiting to be copied over to the pool? (FYI, My fsck has been set to run nightly, per default... so I'm surprised if the LZ is still clogged with files. However, I have also copied hundreds of other files to the server earlier in the week; perhaps those are still repopulating through the LZ too?)

Thanks again for all help... it's been an interesting week :). I can't request a current fpaste (obviously), but most recent was ur1.ca/od2mo.

lg
------
-------
Hardware/set-up details:
- Dell PowerEdge t110 ii, 20GB RAM, onboard Broadcom BCM 5722 nic.
- Fedora 21, Amahi 8.0.1-1, "Advanced Settings" is checked, plus Greyhole (installed automatically as an app).
- Boot OS and root is on a Sandisk Plus 120GB SSD drive.
- Two SATA hard drives (ext4) used for storage ONLY, plugged directly into motherboard SATA (not RAID), both are in the Greyhole storage pool:
1) Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA II w/32MB Cache (WD20EADS)
2) Western Digital Red 2TB SATA III w/64MB Cache (WD20EFRX)
- Router is an Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight (gigabit). Cables are Cat5 rated.

lgreenman

Re: [Help] Greyhole Landing Zone filled? "Not enough space" error; now server hangs at boot...

Postby lgreenman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:02 pm

Ok, an update... with the help of cpg, I ssh'ed into my server successfully and determined that, yes, my Greyhole LZ was full on root.

I removed several files from the LZ, and was able to restart fsck. It's running (as is mysql), and I can access the server from remote clients again.

Remaining issue... I've been monitoring fsck with this command...

tail -f /var/log/greyhole.log

....and I'm getting this error for a few files:

"WARNING! No copies of this file are available in the Greyhole storage pool."

This is being reported for a handful of files which I moved from one share to another days ago. Any idea why that caused a problem? How do I resolve this?

Worse, it appears that the fsck has halted during these "no copy available" errors, stopping at a particular file I remember deleting a few days ago (via \\HDA\Share\Filename, using my Windows client). I fear this is why my root filled up (for some reason, it never finishes fsck because of this one file not being found in the storage pool).

Any ideas/help appreciated at this point.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: [Help] Greyhole Landing Zone filled? "Not enough space" error; now server hangs at boot...

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:46 am

You might try checking the Greyhole trash for the files.

There should be info in the wiki or on the Greyhole web site that might help.

Once you find those, things should return to normal.

BTW, have you checked out Greyhole Troubleshooting in the wiki?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

lgreenman

Postby lgreenman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:39 am

Took a long look in the /.gh trash -- still no luck. All my data is safely backed-up on other drives. So no worries.

After reviewing my goals here, I've deceived to go a different direction & explore a more self-managed solution (Ubuntu/MHDDFS/rsync/etc).

Thanks for the help with everything (and also to cpg). Actually, it was my experiences working with Amahi/Greyhole these last few weeks that gave me the confidence to finally "roll my own" with off-the-shelf Linux. I learned what it takes to get one of these servers working. So best of luck to everyone here, and thanks again.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:37 pm

No problem and happy to assist.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2