Greyhole rebuild or something to that effect...

thekiwi

Greyhole rebuild or something to that effect...

Postby thekiwi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:13 pm

OK, things were working great I had everything setup fine and then I decided to update my server hardware. Stupidly (really, really stupidly) I gutted the drives from my old server (without making note of anything) and threw them into my new server and installed Fedora 21 and Amahi 8 on a new drive. I connected my data drives (added them to fstab) and re-linked my shares, expecting everything to work like magic.

Only it didn't.

My Movies/TV/Music shares have all disappeared from the HDA when viewed in a Windows explorer browser. The folders all exist, but not the files themselves. I can see them on the HDA itself, located in gh, and presumably with a symbolic link to the empty folders.
I look at gh and it does not appear to even be running.

Silly boy.

Not sure what I need to do in order to rebuild gh and reinstate my movie shares. Actually, in going through the list of error-checking commands, the code:

Code: Select all

tail /var/log/greyhole.log
appears to show the error of my ways (see attached). Advice on how (if possible) to repair would be warmly received.

Installation details as follows :-
4.1.13-100.fc21.x86_64
samba-4.1.20-1.fc21.x86_64
amahi-greyhole-0.9.63-0.x86_64

Fpaste results :-
http://ur1.ca/oc46v
http://ur1.ca/oc46y

Storage Pool Directories :-
mysql -u root -phda -e "select concat(path, '/gh') from disk_pool_partitions" \
hda_production | grep -v 'concat(' | xargs ls -la | fpaste
http://ur1.ca/oc47i
Attachments
gh_error_chck.txt
(8.88 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Greyhole rebuild or something to that effect...

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:26 pm

I am confused on what you are doing with your setup. If using Greyhole, you should not make the share path the Greyhole drive. That path should remain the default /var/hda/files/share.

If you want to put shares on a separate drive, do not use the same drive for Greyhole. Defeats the purpose. Greyhole will create symbolic links in that location (/var/hda/files)to the actual files that are on the Greyhole enabled drive.

The current problem appears to be your Greyhole drives are listed as offline. That prevents Greyhole from running.

Recommend you start over with the Greyhole configuration and return the share path to their original locations. Then follow the reconnect existing Greyhole storage pool guidance.

BTW there is a lot of guidance in the wiki for Greyhole. You might consider reviewing it so you understand how it works and how things should be configured. It will save you a lot of heart ache and prevent file loss.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

thekiwi

Postby thekiwi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had read the documentation but admittedly I found it a bit of a minefield.

Given that I have TB's worth of data stored on the drives, is there a way to extract it without losing it before starting over?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:48 am

You shouldn't have to worry about losing data.

Recommend you install 1 drive, the everything working. Then once verified, you can add the second drive. I presume based on your setup that you have the same files on both drives.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

thekiwi

Postby thekiwi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Well, I might have duplicates on each drive, but that was not the intention for all shares. I have pictures, documents etc that are supposed to be duplicated using gh, and then the moves, tv and music should not be duplicated. As I understood it, gh would move things across both drives to make use of the available disk space.

Given that I deliberately placed movies etc on one drive (that I did not wish to be duplicated) and docs etc on another (where I did want duplicates), how will this work when I try to reset the share paths back to the original?

Confused :?: :oops:

Thanks bigfoot

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:51 pm

For shares that you are not using Greyhole, there is no need to move them to another drive unless you don't have enough space on the OS drive. If you are using Greyhole, but not replication again there is no need to move them. Any share that Greyhole manages will put a single copy at minimum on one of the drives. The original share will then hold a symbolic link to that file. Does that make sense?

If that was your intent, then leave the paths alone. However you need to go back through the steps in the wiki to ensure you didn't miss anything. Something is causing the drives to be listed as offline for Greyhole which is why it won't run.

It might help if you read the wiki guidance on how Greyhole works to better understand what I am saying.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager