SOLVED: New to Greyhole... I am not sure what happened here. Moved files moved back?

brownfamily

SOLVED: New to Greyhole... I am not sure what happened here. Moved files moved back?

Postby brownfamily » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:14 am

Hi. I am new to Greyhole and Amahi, and have just a little experience with Linux in general. I just encountered a strange issue with Greyhole and I was wondering if someone can help me figure out what happened and how to prevent it.

I have a fresh install of Fedora 21, Amahi 8, and Greyhole. I put 3 drives into my drive pool, and added the shares Videos, TV, and Movies to the pool.

I started with transferring my existing video collection to the Videos samba share on the Amahi server. My video collection was a mix of both movies and tv shows. So I thought to make it easy, I would copy all of it it to the server first, then categorize it after it was on the server.

After the copy was complete, I logged in to the server's console with SSH. I went to the directory /var/hda/files/. Then, using the mv command, I manually moved movies from videos/ to movies/ and TV shows from videos/ to tv/. This seemed to work fine. I pointed my Amahi Plex server to these folders and it worked.

But a few hours later, my Plex server couldn't find any of the files. I logged back in with SSH to look, and it looks like everything is back in the videos directory now. All the work I did moving movies to movies and tv to tv was undone. What happened? Is Greyhole resetting itself?

I might have pressed the Greyhole "Run FSCK" button in the dashboard. Did this revert everything?

Did I move the files on the pool wrong? Was it something else? What don't I understand?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: New to Greyhole... I am not sure what happened here. Moved files moved back?

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:36 am

Read the Greyhole disclaimer. That is likely your issue.

Follow the guidance to install mount_shares_locally and then things should be fine.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

brownfamily

Re: New to Greyhole... I am not sure what happened here. Moved files moved back?

Postby brownfamily » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:27 am

That looks like exactly my issue. Thank you.

So, after I follow the instructions to Mount Shares Locally, are the files located at the same place? /var/hda/files?

Thanks again.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:42 am

So, after I follow the instructions to Mount Shares Locally, are the files located at the same place? /var/hda/files?
Yes however when you mess with them locally on the HDA using command line, you need to access files via /mnt/samba/sharename as the guidance mentions.

The intent is to do all file operations through Samba as that's what Greyhole uses.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

brownfamily

Postby brownfamily » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:16 am

I see. Thanks again! Sorry

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:54 am

No problem. Hope it solves your issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

brownfamily

Postby brownfamily » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:08 am

OK, I have a follow up question:

I am now moving my files from one share to another over the network, with a Windows desktop. After the files are moved, it doesn't look like the drive space is freed up. It is like the files are taking up double the space, even though there is only one copy.

Does it take greyhole a while to "catch up"? Is this where FSCK is used?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:41 am

Does it take greyhole a while to "catch up"? Is this where FSCK is used?
Yes. Sometimes it catches them and sometimes it requires a forced FSCK.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

brownfamily

Postby brownfamily » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Thank you! That's all I need to know.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Happy to help. Will close this one as solved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager