Fedora server will not boot after initial drive pool setup

bleriot

Fedora server will not boot after initial drive pool setup

Postby bleriot » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:13 pm

HI

After setting up a drive pool with greyhole I get this when I reboot my computer.
fedora-server-21.jpg
fedora-server-21.jpg (98.77 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
This picture is taken after I unplugged the pooled drives. This is tested with different drives and on different machines.
I'm I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Please help! I´m getting desperate :(

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Fedora server will not boot after initial drive pool setup

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:56 pm

No this is not a bug.

Please explain the steps prior to reboot.

Also the drives need to be connected as they were before reboot.

Also is this a new Amahi 8 minimal install?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bleriot

Postby bleriot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:43 pm

It is a fresh fedora 21 server install made from a Fedora 21 Netinstall 64-bit and with amahi installed with the Amahi 8 guide from this site, so no this is not a minimal install. :)

The steps where: install of greyhole UI, then install of disk wizard witch was used to mount and format the drives (of course not the the drive with OS, witch is kept out of the pool completely).
In greyhole UI I marked the 2 extra drives as part of the pool and set up file duplication.

All setup was done using the apps provided by amahi and no terminal commands where used (I don´t have the knowledge for advaced use of the terminal).

the result of connecting the drives and reboot gave me this:
Attachments
fedora-server-21_2.jpg
fedora-server-21_2.jpg (121.56 KiB) Viewed 2970 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:57 pm

It is a fresh fedora 21 server install made from a Fedora 21 Netinstall 64-bit and with amahi installed with the Amahi 8 guide from this site, so no this is not a minimal install.
That is the minimal install if you followed the instructions in the wiki. Were the extra drives connected during install?

Something went wrong with the disk mounting I presume, but cannot tell without the details needed. Unfortunately since this is in a unusable state, we cannot retrieve the critical logs and such that is needed.

This issue does not look good. I am not sure we can help with this. A complete reinstall would be best and quickest solution here.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bleriot

Postby bleriot » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:01 am

Hi again

After some more fiddling with 4 more re installs, I think I have found the problem, but I don´t have the solution...

After installing Fedora server 21 and Amahi 8, I installed Disk Wizard. I think Disk wizard is the problem here! Before I do anything I can see that the disk with Fedora on is sda. After adding a second disk, the new disk is now called sda and the disk with Fedora is now sdb. If I mount the new disk and reboot, I get this...

If I try to boot from the other disk from bios, it doesn't work either.

What can I do about it?
Attachments
fedora-server-21_3.jpg
fedora-server-21_3.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 2961 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:16 am

If your OS disk is being reported as sdb, then you need to switch your cables on the mother board. That may fix your problem. Also ensure you BIOS is booting the correct drive first.

I don't believe this is due to the Disk Wizard. It's mounting the drives, it's your machine that is not properly recognizing the correct boot drive it seems.

Are you installing Fedora 21 and Amahi with no other drives connected? If not, that could be your problem. We recommend you only have the OS drive connected. Add the other drives once Amahi is up and running.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bleriot

Postby bleriot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi again

I did as you said :)
But the result is still the same... Here is what I did: I installed Fedora Server 21 (with one disk i slot sata0 on the board), then installed Amahi, and as you said the drive became sda. So far so good...
Then I installed my second disk in slot sata1 on the board. Disk wizard showed it as sdb and i mounted it ( used mount automatically) and it remained as sdb :)
after a reboot, bang! I was back at zero!!! same message as the last one!!!

What on earth am I missing here! this is getting frustrating, I´v been battling this for over 2 1/2 weeks now :shock:

I really do appreciate your help so far and hope there is a solution...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:27 pm

Try swapping the cables between the 2 drives and see if that helps. Something is off here, but not sure what it is yet.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bleriot

Postby bleriot » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:01 am

Hi again :)

I have tried swapping cables, and yes it did help at some point. My problem is that I have to use a HP X510 Data Vault as the server, and the disks are slided in in slots (no cables). I now have this issue cleared. Thanks :D
I must say that I had Greyhole up and running OK with some old disks, but now when I set it up with the disks I intended to use, my old problems are back.
Is there a limit on the size of disks that can be used, as 2TB ? I´m asking this question because I managed to make a pool with a 1.5 TB drive and my Home directory, and that worked. As soon I added the 2 TB drive it ruined my fedora install.

I must be doing some thing wrong in the initial setup of my storage pool!
Is there a clear and comprehensible step by step guide somewhere, that addresses the pits and falls of setting up a Greyhole pool within Amahi with the Greyhole UI ?

Thank :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:31 am

Is there a limit on the size of disks that can be used, as 2TB ?
No limit on size, but any drive greater than 2.1 TB has a different formatting scheme I believe. See the Partitions over 2.1 TB guidance in the wiki.
Is there a clear and comprehensible step by step guide somewhere, that addresses the pits and falls of setting up a Greyhole pool within Amahi with the Greyhole UI ?
Not sure exactly what you are looking for here. Maybe the Greyhole UI App Transition Guide will help.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager