greyhole UI: Shares "Extra Copies"

bdaz

greyhole UI: Shares "Extra Copies"

Postby bdaz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:45 pm

Hey Guys -

I just want to write a gripe that your UI could have been better designed.

I (finally) migrated from Amahi 6 to 8 (moved from Ubuntu to Fedora) paid the $25 for functionality I already had (that's fine - you guys do a solid job so it's the least I can do).

I couldn't copy my greyhole.conf over from the old server because I think Amahi overwrites the config file (pulls from mySQL?) and thus recreated previous config in Greyhole UI.

Here's my issue: I matched all the settings in Greyhole UI to what my greyhole.conf was set to prior.
Thus all my shares ended up creating an extra copy and thrashed my storage pool!

In greyhole.conf you set the number of copies you wanted, in Greyhole UI you set the number of EXTRA Copies!! Argh!!!! Why not leave it the same!?

cpg
Administrator

Re: greyhole UI: Shares "Extra Copies"

Postby cpg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:47 am

I will take responsibility for this. Sorry about that.

Now, I do not recall in the end the reasons that this was done this way.

What I do recall is that we did discuss about this a lot. A LOT. We ran things past various users, etc. (typically users that would not configure it by hand, tho.).

My vague recollection is that we wanted to be very clear and explicit -- I think some people had some shades of doubt with "1 copy" because it could be construed as just one total copy or 1 copy of the main data. In this case, not realizing one had extra copies would be bad, so it's best to be super explicit.

Sometimes, guiding things based on the programmer assumptions, naming, can be a little dangerous, generally speaking (one of the criticisms of open source).

Sorry about that -- but hopefully having an extra copy in your case was not on the truly bad side of things.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1