Reuse Mount Points (Drive Numbers)? (/var/hda/files/drives/drive#)

highlan

Reuse Mount Points (Drive Numbers)? (/var/hda/files/drives/drive#)

Postby highlan » Mon May 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Ok, here are the details to understand my questions:

My setup:
Amahi 7
9 hard drives
- sda has boot, /, swap, /var/hda/files/ partitions
- sdb through sdi are greyhole storage drives (sdb1 - sdi1 partitions)

Situation
- sdd (mounted as /var/hda/files/drives/drive4) was showing bad sectors so I removed the drive (greyhole --going)
- After the bad drive was gone, I added a new drive, which showed up as sdd, but mounted as /var/hda/files/drives/drive9 (per hda-diskmount)

Questions
- Why are new drives given new, unused mount point drive numbers (/var/hda/files/drives/drive9), but the OS will reuse device names (sdd)? (as an FYI, I've moved drives around on my motherboard sata ports and RAID card without any problems, as fstab mounts drives via UUIDs)
- Can mount points (drive numbers) be reused? (can I change fstab to mount the new drive "sdd" to mount at /var/hda/files/drives/drive4 instead of /var/hda/files/drives/drive9)
- If I can reuse mount points, what do I need to do to make sure everything is working, besides making the change in fstab and running an fsck?

I've read the wiki "Changing Greyhole Mount Points" (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Changi ... unt_Points), which sounds REALLY good to me (would make identifying my drive locations easier) but without fully understanding how Amahi works with mounting, I don't want to mess with my production system, which my family relies heavily on.

Thanks for your help!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Reuse Mount Points (Drive Numbers)? (/var/hda/files/drives/drive#)

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:08 pm

- Why are new drives given new, unused mount point drive numbers (/var/hda/files/drives/drive9), but the OS will reuse device names (sdd)? (as an FYI, I've moved drives around on my motherboard sata ports and RAID card without any problems, as fstab mounts drives via UUIDs)
The device names are set by the OS, however the mount points themselves are determined by the user or software.
- Can mount points (drive numbers) be reused? (can I change fstab to mount the new drive "sdd" to mount at /var/hda/files/drives/drive4 instead of /var/hda/files/drives/drive9)
Yes you can reuse mount points.
- If I can reuse mount points, what do I need to do to make sure everything is working, besides making the change in fstab and running an fsck?
Ensure you can access the files at that mountpoint.

It helps to understand what a mount point is in Linux. See mount point definition for details. This is not something specific to just Amahi, it applies across the board.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2