CLOSED: Greyhole Trash Has Files I did not Delete

highlan

CLOSED: Greyhole Trash Has Files I did not Delete

Postby highlan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi all, I need some help/explanation.

I have files in the Greyhole Trash that I did not delete manually. I think Greyhole did it, but am not sure and am looking for an explanation before I delete them. Here is my current setup:

Amahi Server
Windows 7 Client
Greyhole Trash share
Folder A is part of the storage pool, with 1 extra copies.

So, I went into the Greyhole Trash share from my client and noticed there were files in there that I did not delete. These files were recently added to Folder A from my client. Some of the files have a "copy 1" at the end of the file name, and some do not. Please see picture below (file 1, file 3, file 4, but NOT file 2).

In Folder A, these files are there. But, I want to understand what is happening before I delete these files, because they would be hard to replace.

Not sure if it matters (of if I did it right), but when I created the Greyhole Trash share, I added it to the Storage Pool, with 0 extra copies. (Is this ok?)

So here are my questions:

1 - How did these files get to the Greyhole Trash?
2 - Are they safe to delete, since the files still show up in Folder A?

Thanks for all your help!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Greyhole Trash Has Files I did not Delete

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:32 am

Not sure if it matters (of if I did it right), but when I created the Greyhole Trash share, I added it to the Storage Pool, with 0 extra copies. (Is this ok?)
Yes that is correct for how you created the share. Are you using the Greyhole UI? Just curious.
1 - How did these files get to the Greyhole Trash?
Did you update the files, i.e. copy over new files with the same name? How many copies do you have set for the share? Based on the number of copies, a balance of the drives may have caused it to move the file to a different drive.
2 - Are they safe to delete, since the files still show up in Folder A?
If you have the correct number of copies, then they should be safe to delete.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

highlan

Postby highlan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:31 am

Yes that is correct for how you created the share. Are you using the Greyhole UI? Just curious.
I am using the Greyhole UI. Works great!
1 - Did you update the files, i.e. copy over new files with the same name? How many copies do you have set for the share? Based on the number of copies, a balance of the drives may have caused it to move the file to a different drive.
I did not update the files. I have 1 copy set for the share. Now, I did copy over multiple files at or close to the same time, between 700mb - 800mb each. All total, about 180Gb. So, it may be because of balancing. That would explain why file 2 didn't have an extra copy - the system decided one of the locations of file 2 was fine for balancing.

So, if I understand load balancing correctly, the system will copy files to new locations then delete the file from the old location(s)?
If you have the correct number of copies, then they should be safe to delete.
How do I find out if I have the correct number of copies? I've been going off of faith, based on what I set in the greyhole UI.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Check out the Amahit 7 create manual Greyhole setup wiki page. There is an example about the number of copies.

If you want more details of how Greyhole works, recommend you ask in there forums.
https://greyhole.freshdesk.com/support/home

This is an add-on to Amahi and we may not have all the necessary details or answers to your questions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

highlan

Postby highlan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:15 pm

Check out the Amahit 7 create manual Greyhole setup wiki page. There is an example about the number of copies.

If you want more details of how Greyhole works, recommend you ask in there forums.
https://greyhole.freshdesk.com/support/home

This is an add-on to Amahi and we may not have all the necessary details or answers to your questions.

Will do, thanks.