Disable greyhole on Fedora 19?

radioz

Disable greyhole on Fedora 19?

Postby radioz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm setting up a new hda with Amahi 7.1/F19 and would like to eliminate greyhole (since I don't use it).

The wiki has a procedure for the older Ubuntu release:

Code: Select all

update-rc.d -f greyhole remove rm /etc/monit.d/greyhole.conf service monit restart service greyhole stop
I can't seem to find a similar procedure for Fedora.

It looks to be a little more complicated than under Ubuntu. I notice there are hooks in cron.daily and cron.weekly carry out various activities, among other things.

I'd like to eliminate all the calls to greyhole and eliminate greyhole logging.

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Disable greyhole on Fedora 19?

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:57 pm

If you didn't enable Greyhole, then it's simple. Just stop the service and disable the start on boot.

systemctl stop amahi-greyhole.service systemctl disable amahi-greyhole.service
I am not sure if it is actually installed and running when first installing Amahi 7. Initially it wasn't, but that may have changed in later releases.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_ ... hole_Setup

You can check by doing:

yum list amahi-greyhole
If it doesn't reflect as being installed, then there's nothing to do.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

radioz

Postby radioz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks Bigfoot.

Yes, it was definitely installed on first installation.

Your suggestion does prevent greyhole from starting up.

Question: What about the cron.daily/weekly greyhole scripts? Those are still going to be triggered wont they?
I suppose I could chmod -x them to prevent their execution (I'd rather not delete them in case I change my mind later)?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:13 am

Probably will still run, depending on what's in those files. I would just move them to your home directory for now. That would keep them from running. Changing the permissions will do the same thing, but you will then see errors in the log about them not being able to execute.

I really thought we had Greyhole separated that it would not install by default. Guess I will have to check into that more.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:56 pm

To follow up and clarify about Greyhole, you said it is installed on a fresh Amahi 7 install using the Express CD, correct? That must have changed over the past several months as the initial release did not install it automatically from what I can remember.

Also noticed the two jobs you mentioned that run are 1-liners. You could just edit them and comment out the line in each. Then they will run, but nothing will happen. Just a thought.

I want to update the wiki guidance regarding Greyhole install in Amahi 7, so that's the reason for the clarification. I will also add guidance for disabling Greyhole in Amahi 7 as well.

UPDATE: I did a yum erase amahi-greyhole on my test 64-bit machine and it allowed me to remove the package. Nothing else was removed, so you might try that too.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

radioz

Postby radioz » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Yes, it was a fresh install using the Express CD.

Good point about commenting the command invocations.

Simply leaving greyhole disabled results in error messages slowly filling the greyhole log file. I'll try your suggestion and just commenting out the commands in /etc/cron.d/greyhole, /etc/cron.daily/greyhole, and /etc/cron.weekly/greyhole (just to be complete).

Thanks for looking into it. I hope greyhole can be an optional module in the future.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:47 pm

Did you see my edit in the previous post? I was able to do

yum erase amahi-greyhole
and it removed the package without uninstalling anything else.

That would be the best option for you if it works.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

radioz

Postby radioz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks, I overlooked that. I'll use that to uninstall it.

I appreciate your help.