Replacing HD in GH pool... migrate to Amahi 7 first?

KazarSoze

Replacing HD in GH pool... migrate to Amahi 7 first?

Postby KazarSoze » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:34 pm

All,

I have been using Amahi 6.2 for while and had GH running without issue from the beginning. I want to replace one of my disks in the pool with a nice, new WD Red disk as the old one is rather small and rather old. But I also want to go to Amahi 7 at some point. I have everything backed up to USB hanging off the HDA so I was wondering what the best strategy is going forward. Because I have everything backed up, I was planning on just pulling the two storage drives out of my HDA (for safety), installing Amahi 7, reinstall the new HD and the second storage HD, setup GH again and then restore data from USB. To me, this seems the simplest and the most secure.

Is this the best way to go about it? Do I need to do anything different? Do I need to format the storage disks first (so any GH info/structure is gone before I set it up again)? I figured the Amahi 7 install is going to blow away everything on the system disk so there is no real reason to go through all the correct steps to remove a disk from the pool as the database won't be saved as part of the Amahi 7 install.

Please help me find any holes in my logic.

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Replacing HD in GH pool... migrate to Amahi 7 first?

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Sounds fairly straight forward to me. As long as you have all files backed up in eithe Greyhole or an external disk drive, you should be fine.

There is guidance in the wiki for adding drives to a new install that might be helpful.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/How_To ... _Ubuntu_12

Although this is for Fedora to Ubuntu, the concept is the same. There is more guidance in the wiki, but I cannot seem to locate it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

KazarSoze

Postby KazarSoze » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would I need to wipe the GH storage disks after I physically pull them from the system (before the Amahi 7 install)? I didn't know if having any "old" data on the disks from one GH pool will be an issue when I setup the "new" GH pool. Sure its a new GH pool and DB, but it might see some residue from the old system on those disks. Not sure exactly what magic it uses to store/write things on there...

KazarSoze

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:13 pm

No need to wipe disks. When you reconnect the disks, the Greyhole fcsk will rebuild the database. It's very similar to removing a drive, then adding a new one.

When I upgraded to Amahi 7, I pulled the drives, installed the OS and Amahi. Then reconnected the drives, told Greyhole and it went to town. All files were preserved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2