Missing drives and reappearing drives in Greyhole

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Missing drives and reappearing drives in Greyhole

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Have you tried the replace command? Is there a problem with the drive? When it disappears is the drive still mounted? There has to be something going on to make Greyhole think the drive is gone.

By the way what version of Amahi and Greyhole are you using?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kikkegek

Postby kikkegek » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:24 pm

hi there,

sorry to bring up this old thread. But I never got around to solving it.

I have replaced the SATA controller with an better faster version. But for some reason recently again a drive went out...
This is an automated email from Greyhole.

One (or more) of your storage pool drives has disappeared:
/var/hda/files/drives/drive3/gh: expected partition UUID: 514a5219-1017-4a91-acc5-8259c09c6ae4; current partition UUID: remote

This either means this mount is currently unmounted, or you forgot to use 'greyhole --replace' when you changed this drive.
So I ran the --replace command on it:
This is an automated email from Greyhole.

One (or more) of your storage pool drives came back:
/var/hda/files/drives/drive3/gh was missing; it's now available again.

A fsck will now start, to fix the symlinks found in your shares, when possible.
You'll receive a report email once that fsck run completes.
and this is the result:
fsck report
-----------
Scanned directory: Missing files
Started: 2016-02-13 19:21:14
Ended: 2016-02-13 19:23:01
Duration: 1m 47s
Metadata Store:
Found 0 directories
Found 1,614 files
Landing Zone (shares):
Found 0 directories
Found 340 files
Found 0 orphans
Trash size:
/var/hda/files/drives/drive2/gh/.gh_trash = 160M
/var/hda/files/drives/drive3/gh/.gh_trash = empty
/var/hda/files/drives/drive1/gh/.gh_trash = 2.2G

Problems:
Found 464 files in the metadata store for which no file copies were found.
Those files were removed from the Landing Zone. (i.e. those files are now gone!) They will re-appear in your shares if a copy re-appear and fsck is run.
If you don't want to see those files listed here each time fsck runs, delete the corresponding files from the metadata store using "greyhole --delete-metadata='<path>'", where <path> is one of the value listed below.
Files with no copies:

bla bla bla bla
I am slowly loosing faith as I have absolutely no clue why this is happening and what I can do about it.

a lot of folders are there, but the files are just not in it. So why do just the files dissapear?

And in some folders only the big files dissapeared. so only the 1GB movie files, but the folder.jpg files and subtitle.srt files didnt dissapear....WTF?

please help? any advise?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:30 pm

Hello,

Do you have the file copies set to max?
Check /etc/greyhole.conf and see what it shows as well.

If those files were only on the drive that was replaced, they would be lost when you removed it. Also try looking in the Greyhole Attic to see if they are there.

I have been using Greyhole for years and never had any problems.

You might also seek assistance from the author of Greyhole. Our support is limited as it's not a native Amahi application that we control.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kikkegek

Postby kikkegek » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:46 pm

hi Bigfoot65

I have set the number of copies for all shares to 1 and only for my picture share to 2.

I did not remove a drive...what happens is that out of the blue my HDA will sent me and email that the drive went missing and then usually within 5 minutes it reappears again. then a FSCK runs with the result that I get all kinds of files restored that I had deleted in the past and newer files go missing.

If I set file copies to max, wont that flood my drives very fast with data, because of all the copies from one file?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:59 pm

I did not remove a drive...what happens is that out of the blue my HDA will sent me and email that the drive went missing and then usually within 5 minutes it reappears again. then a FSCK runs with the result that I get all kinds of files restored that I had deleted in the past and newer files go missing.
This points to an issue with your drives. The only way one would disappear, then reappear is if there is something wrong with the drive or controller.
If I set file copies to max, wont that flood my drives very fast with data, because of all the copies from one file?
Yes, but maybe set it to 2 then. Keep in mind that the size of the drive determines which ones hold the files. There is an algorithm that determines where files are saved in the pool. It's possible that 1 drive might not get any files depending on free space.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager