Greyhole is considering accessed images changed

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Greyhole is considering accessed images changed

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Cool and thanks. That may be the best option for the thumbnails. If there are others, we can document them as they are found.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ribbles

Postby ribbles » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:43 pm

I have found a better solution for the Thumbs.db problem by following the steps in a thread here:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 9f4295669b

Apparently the thumbs.db file is only needed for OLDER software . For Windows 7 it is not required to display thumbnails, so by following those steps and disabling the creation of thumbs.db on all Windows 7 computers on your network, the problem of greyhole constantly recopying the thumbs.db file will cease!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Nice work. Good info to add to the wiki guidance as well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

minnalova

Postby minnalova » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:24 am

Great findings ribbles! I can confirm that your solutions work. Thanks for sharing it! I really felt bad this copying of files by Greyhole as soon as a non changed file was accessed.

Wierd with the details pane thing though in windows explorer. Do you know why this was causing the image to be rewritten to disk?

ribbles

Postby ribbles » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Great findings ribbles! I can confirm that your solutions work. Thanks for sharing it! I really felt bad this copying of files by Greyhole as soon as a non changed file was accessed.

Wierd with the details pane thing though in windows explorer. Do you know why this was causing the image to be rewritten to disk?

yes, my guess is because every time you select the file with that details pane open, you will see some meta data text fields can be edited on the detail pane, so I am guessing it tries to update those meta data fields even if you dont change them.

I am now having this problem when I open video files. Specifically, .mp4 files that I open with VLC player. Anyone notice similar problem? I may have to turn Greyhole Trash off on all my video folders because of this, it is a big problem having it copy 100-1000+MB video files to trash every time I open a video file. Funnily enough it only happens to .mp4 video files and not .avi files. And only with VLC player which sucks because thats my favorite player and I can't figure out why its doing it.