Greyhole Mess, Need Help Sorting It Out

flickeringsight

Greyhole Mess, Need Help Sorting It Out

Postby flickeringsight » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 pm

So, two issues with partial fixes in place and I need help finishing it off.

A Bit Info About My System
I have 4 hard drives in my box:
  • • Drive 1 contains the OS and the usual OS partitions, in addition to a 200 GB partition called /scratch used as a landing zone for new downloads and disc rips. (It is not setup as a Greyhole landing zone)
    • Drives 2+3 are combined into a 2.5 TB large volume group that mounts at /var/hda/files and was part of the Greyhole storage pool.
    • Drive 4 is 2 TB and mounts at /var/hda/files/bigdrive and was part of the Greyhole storage pool.
I have shares at /var/hda/files/movies, /var/hda/files/music, and /var/hda/files/misc that use the storage pool.

Currently, the Samba and Greyhole servers are turned off.

First Issue (the larger headache, but largely resolved)
Drive 4 was hooked up via a PCI-SATA control card that crapped-out and in the process royally messed up the filesystem, created bad sectors, etc. Long story short, I've recovered 99.8% of the files and file structure onto a new drive of identical capacity which has replaced the old one in the box. The caveat is that some of the recovered files had been recently deleted, renamed or moved to different directories but were recovered as they previously where, so the new file structure doesn't 100% match what is was before the drive failure. The new drive is mounted at /var/hda/files/bigdrive.

Second Issue (the smaller but more confusing one)
I recently learned that one shouldn't add the /var/hda/files directory to the storage pool - even though it may seem right to do so and there are no warnings or preventative measures to stop someone from doing this. I had done this long ago and have a Greyhole folder with 2.0TB of files at /var/hda/files/gh

So, I want to re-integrate my Greyhole volumes and also fix the "don't use /var/hda/files" directory as a storage pool faux-pas – without endangering my files that I spent 9 days recovering.

Any suggests?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-11-14 at 2.51.31 PM.png
Current state of affairs.
Screen Shot 2012-11-14 at 2.51.31 PM.png (32.18 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
HDA: 2.6GHz Dual Core, Gigabyte MB, 2GB RAM, Blu-Ray, 320GB+1.0TB+2.0TB+4.0TB, Amahi 8

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Greyhole Mess, Need Help Sorting It Out

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:52 am

There is nothing preventing you from using /var/hda/files in the storage pool that I am aware. Although it is not recommended, if you have a large drive it does not hurt anything in my opinion.

Might try using the command

Code: Select all

greyhole --going=/var/hda/files/gh
. This should tell it the drive is going to be replaced and ensure any copies of files not replicated on other storage pool drives are added to them.

Then once you verify all files are ok, you can do

Code: Select all

greyhole --gone=/var/hda/files/gh
and remove it from the storage pool. You may have to manually remove the gh folder from that drive.

Not sure if this is the solution you seek, but it's what I would try.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

flickeringsight

Postby flickeringsight » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm

OK, I won't worry about the /var/hda/files pooled directory. But what about my recovered files?

The recovered files have differences from those on the original volume; the recovery process reverted some recently renamed/moved/deleted files to an older state. Also, some files were lost. Will Greyhole be able to rebuild the symlinks to the changed files and will it remove dead symlinks? Will it attempt to delete any of the real files? Should I follow any special procedure?
HDA: 2.6GHz Dual Core, Gigabyte MB, 2GB RAM, Blu-Ray, 320GB+1.0TB+2.0TB+4.0TB, Amahi 8

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 pm

It shouldn't mess anything up. Any files it deletes will be in the Greyhole trash folder, so you can check there.

You can also add a share to point to the Greyhole Trash. I do that so I have a way of seeing what is removed via my client.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2